Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matthejl8

Mix of Bermuda and St. Aug

matthejl8
9 years ago

We purchased this house this past winter and its the first lawn that I am attempting to make nice. It has a mix of shade and sun, and likewise a mix of existing st. aug (under the trees) and it flows into some bermuda...where the sun shines most of the day. Now with the angle of the sun, the whole lawn does get shade during the day, but in the middle where the sun shines brightest...the bermuda is thriving. When I got here the yard had been a complete year neglected while it was on the market and the st. aug took a hit with a rough winter. It was yellow to start this year and after water and fertilizer, it didnt green up much. I recently applied some iron (with a minimum amount of nitrogen in it) and the yellow spots are starting to green up. I also have been mowing it pretty high to encourage the st. aug.

The problem I am running into is that the mix of grass makes it hard to treat as far as weeds. Because you have a thin grass and a broad leaf grass.

My question is that if I keep mowing it high and taking care of the soil correctly...can I expect my st. aug to take over the whole lawn? Thats obviously what I would prefer.

Any help or comments are greatly welcomed.

thanks

Comments (2)