Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnshenry

Winning the Crabgrss battle, when does it blow seed?

johnshenry
15 years ago

I was fortunate when I bought my house in '04 that the PO had established a really nice turf. I have since removed gravel beds he had, and have been pretty successful at growing new grass there. I'm on the MA/NH state line, have mostly a KBG lawn, underground irrigation, currently watering each morning when there is no rain forecast. I mulch/mow with a tractor at 3.75"

... but I have not escaped the crabgrass demons completely.

I get some sporadic clumps, and some small patches near the edges. I know about pre-emergents, what they do, and am a disciple of the "keep your lawn full and long to keep the CG seeds out of the soil"...

So my questions are:

1) When does the crabgrass plant blow seed? I have been pretty good at hand pulling most that I see. My thought is that if I pull it before it blows seed, I will have "won", at least from re-seeding from those plants. I read "mid summer to fall" is when it blows seeds. Am I too late now?

2) I just bought a small hand sprayer bottle of an Ortho Max weed killer that is supposed to kill crabgrass. Anyone have success with this? I sprayed a couple test patches, then we got biblical rains the next 3 days. I would half expect to have to spray again, and will this weekend. Experiences?

TIA

JH

Comment (1)