Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendi_gw

ammonia & etc. fertilizer... how much?

brendi
14 years ago

I found this recipe for lawn fertilizer and was wondering if, since I am not much good at doing math, could someone please help me break this down as to how much of it to place into ONE 32 fluid ounce hose-end sprayer; the kind that comes with pre-mixed weed and feed type container that attaches to a garden hose. (like the ones that can be bought at Walmart & etc.) I read that ammonia is pure nitrogen. I need to be careful not to burn my lawn, which is why I am asking for help. I do not need 32 gallons of it. I just want enough of it to go into a 32 fluid ounce container and be able to use my garden hose attached to it. Thanks.

To make 32 gallons/145 liters

16 tablespoons Epsom salts

8 fl. oz/225ml household ammonia

Water

Combine the Epsom salts and ammonia in a clean jar. To use, mix 2 tablespoons of the mixture with 16 pints/ 9 liters of water in a watering can. Sprinkle over 150-200 sqft/14-18.6 sqm of lawn. For use with a hose attachment, pour into the sprayer container.

Comments (9)

• texas_weed
    14 years ago

You are kidding right? Do you have any idea of how much nitrogen 8 oz of ammonia has?

Well not enough to feed your potted plants. Quit reading Jerry Baker books. It is SNAKE OIL.

But to answer your question 8 oz of ammonia is enough nitrogen to apply about .5 ounces of nitrogen to 1000/ft2 of lawn. (You need 1 pound or 16 times that amount) If you pee in the bottle instead of using ammonia it is free and has about the same amount of nitrogen.

Next question.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

I agree with weed but also you might not need Epsom salts (magnesium and sulfate). The idea that any concoction like that is perfect for any lawn is highly optimistic.

If you want to do something for your lawn that is not snake oil, look for the "Organic Lawn Care FAQ" on the Organic Gardening forum or almost anywhere else on the Internet. The ideas presented in that FAQ are relatively creative at first but once you reset your thinking (and try it), you will start looking for ways to tune it up and improve on the plan for your lawn. There are literally thousands of people using that FAQ with all measures of success. Several years ago there was a website that counted the FAQ downloads. They got up to about 17,000 before they discontinued the counter service. Considering they were a minor player in the gardening world, I'd guess there are well over 100,000 downloads from all over. In the years since I wrote it, I've not heard one complaint.

• hortsense
    14 years ago

Mix water and Urea...let set in tank one week, preferably in a sunny area...and VOILA! Ammonia! H 2 O + N (urea) Yields (=) N H 4 (Ammonia) + 0 (2) . Sorry for the lack of correct chemical labeling. But Oxygen does not exist as just plain O for long....either 02 (gaseous Oxygen which we need so as not to suffocate) or O3 (Ozone). Why ANYONE would want to apply such to their lawn is beyond me. The pH of that mixture could approach 10.0 or even 11.o (severely alkaline) in a hurry and would certainly BURN the lawn (most grasses incidentally prefer mildly acidic growing conditions. But perhaps it would be cheaper than Round-up... Would likely knock a buzzard off a honeywagon though...

• texas_weed
    14 years ago

I apologize for the tone of my last reply, it was a bad hair day.

The point I was trying to make is there is very little ammonia in household ammonia. Household ammonia is actually ammonium hydroxide and water, 95% water leaving you with 5% ammonium hydroxide. Ammonium hydroxide is 70% nitrogen by weight. So in the 8 oz of ammonia it contains roughly .4 oz of nitrogen by weight. .4 ounces is enough to fertilize roughly 31/ft2 of lawn.

So I hope you can see it is useless to use ammonia as a fertilizer.

Now farmers like me use anhydrous ammonia as a fertilizer and is 78% nitrogen by weight. That might be the source of your confusion. But you as John Public cannot get access to anhydrous ammonia as it is a very deadly gas.

• trickyputt
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yall are both a bit off. NH4 is what they call the ammonia particle in water, because it attaches on a hydrogen, and it is not as good as the NH3 ammonia in the soil. NH4 nitrifies best around 100 degrees F from what I am reading, and NH3 around 55. Some real uptake issues related to soil moisture also. The injected gas version is better for uptake as a result, short story. NH4 can build up toxic levels. Not so much if you are putting out household chems in the deep heat of a southern summer when it is wet out.

• danielj_2009
    7 years ago

@trickyputt: incorrect. There is a massive amount of confusion surrounding what happens to ammonia when it is diluted in water to make something like household "ammonia." The confusion seems to come from archaic, and incorrect, nomenclature that termed the basic solution of ammonia as ammonium hydroxide, or NH4OH. In reality, a tiny fraction of NH3 converts to NH4OH in water, so when doing the math to calculate how much nitrogen is there, you have to use NH3, not NH4OH molecular weight. It is something that confuses everybody for good reason, myself included. Just do some googling. The clincher is the dissociation constant for ammonia which is very small and greatly favors the presence of NH3 over NH4+ in solution.

Sitereader was correct.

• trickyputt
    7 years ago

NH3 is some good stuff. Clarity still needed on Dollar General Ammonia. Pay grade Exceeded at this point.

• danielj_2009
    7 years ago

Let me assure you that the name "ammonium hydroxide" only exists as a convention, or a habit. Very little actual ammonium hydroxide exists. It is mostly ammonia, NH3. There are reasons people years ago called it ammonium hydroxide, but that isn't important. Since you asked:

This is the data sheet for ammonium hydroxide from Dollar General:

http://dollargeneral.online-msds.com/msds_ingdetail.php?id=1336-21-6

and under formulations is says: Aqueous soln of ammonia ... is often referred to & labeled as a soln
    of ammonium hydroxide /although there is little ammonium hydroxide
    present
    /.

It is kind of funny that under a data sheet for ammonium hydroxide it says there is actually very little ammonium hydroxide present. That should tell you all you need to know.

Just use NH3 instead of NH4OH when trying to find how much pure N is in a bottle of ammonia.