Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bermudaman_2010

Bermuda Grass will it grow Part 3

bermudaman_2010
13 years ago

Well guys thought i would check back in with a few updated pictures of my project. Excuse the camera it fogged up when i walked out this morning, this should give all you guys who think planting grass seed is a waste of time..although my water bill went up 180 bucks since i started this on June 1st until now.

these are of start of project on june 1st.

{{gwi:98587}}

{{gwi:98576}}

{{gwi:98579}}

{{gwi:98583}}

These are after 20 days, june 21st:

{{gwi:98588}}

{{gwi:98577}}

{{gwi:98581}}

{{gwi:98585}}

And these are this morning July 15th:

{{gwi:106623}}

{{gwi:106624}}

{{gwi:106625}}

{{gwi:106626}}

This is Day and night from where i started, now granted this isnt a full lawn of lush bermuda but it has a lot of grass and weeds, I am sure that by the end of August i will have a full lawn, I am going to spread some more seed on the thin and bare areas that didnt take and since i mowed actually for the 1st time yesterday after i spread the seed i will spread starter fertilizer..is this ok?

{{gwi:98576}}

{{gwi:106627}}

Comments (9)

• firstandgoal
    13 years ago

Looking good! Where are the bare areas? I wouldn't spread any more seed, it looks like you have good coverage that will fill in quick. I would go with a straight slow release urea nitrogen only, water it in good, and forget about the starter fert.

How often are you watering?

• texas_weed
    13 years ago

Looks good to me. Are you feeding it?

• wrager
    13 years ago

Looks really good. Which bermuda seed did you choose? Nice prep work too. Good time to spread some compost.
    I did the same thing last year, but lost it all in September to a flood. I will replant most of it this weekend with Laprima XD. I am attempting to pre-germinate the seed. I've had it soaking for a week. We'll see if that makes a difference. I'll take some pictures too.

• bermudaman_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words and accolades guys..."firstandgoal" there are a some thin bare areas mainly in this area {{gwi:106623}} {{gwi:106626}} maybe because after I planted we got rains and the run off carried some of the seeds to other side of the yard..From the start I watered 3 times a day for the 1st 2 weeks then went to twice a day once I saw it germinate. Then last week we had rains for about 3 days so yard was soaked! I had to let it dry out so I could mow so I didnÂt water for 3 or 4 days, mowed and now have watered it once right after I mowed and this morning...I will probably water once a day until I start seeing good coverage, it is mowed pretty high right now but next time will mow it 2 inches.
    "Tweed" I havenÂt put anything out since June 1st when I planted, should I do as firstandgoal stated and put some urea nitrogen out?
    "wrager" I used the Scotts Bermuda seed from home depot as well as their starter fertilizer. The grass is lush Bermuda so the seed grew nice grass, as stated before I do have a lot of weeds that grew in as well...I will address them next year and hope the grass takes care of some of them.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

The bermuda should spread to fill in the bare spots.

With the weeds, just don't let them go to seed this year. Hand-pull and do whatever you have to.

Apply a pre-emergent in the fall if you have cool season weeds, and again in the spring to get the warm-season weeds. That and a thick grass cover should take care of them.

I have almost no weeds this year because they can't compete with the Buffalo grass.

• jordanz
    13 years ago

Looks good...as they said bermuda will spread to fill in bare spots. What's your location?

• texas_weed
    13 years ago

Do not worry about the thin spots and weeds, it is perfectly normal. Keep up the mowing, watering, and feeding. By this time next year you will be cursing it. Good Job.

• bermudaman_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am in the DFW area..as far as the spreading into the bare spots..i believe that to be true because you can see from 20 days to now there were a lot of bare areas that it spread to.as far as pulling weeds, i tried to pull some of them but the soil was trying to come up as well.. and i didnt want to kill my new grass.I am scared to put any weed killer down this year because i dont want my grass to die during the winter:(

I guess i will put more fertilizer down and water / mow and try to get it to grow in as thick as possible..and pull what i can.

• texas_weed
    13 years ago

Do not use any post-emergence herbicide this year. Once fall and cooler temps arrive you can put down pre-emergence herbicide down, and repeat about every 3 months.

Do your ground work now by just mowing, fertilizing, and watering, then next season the fruits of your labor will be rewarded with a show case lawn.