Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcke_gw

Marathon 2 from seed - grew to 4" then died

rcke
10 years ago

I have native So Cal sandy soil which I tilled and added 2 inches of EB Stone Organic Compost (30%) and Green All Soil Booster (70%). The Green All product was discounted from the local nursery because the bags were over a year old (if that might matter). I used EB Stone Topper and some Black Forest compost as a topper to cover the seeds.

It started great and was a very consistent green carpet all the way up to about 4 inches and some parts started looking darker green and more mature (thick blades) and I was cutting those areas with a manual reel type push mower (Brill).

Birds stayed away from the seed just fine. But they loved eating the grass at about the 4th week and had picked some spots almost bare. Then I netted the entire area with bird netting 1 foot off the ground, but the lawn began to die off starting in the center where the birds mostly had been eating the young grass. Still with the netting (zero birds), this continued until only the very edges on one side has survived (only shaded area by the way).

Root rot from too much water ? Had about 8 spots of 5-10 little brown mushrooms out in the sunny middle.

A disease ?

Comments (4)