Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uscjusto

Corn meal question

uscjusto
10 years ago

My local feed store sells a 50 lb bag of cornmeal for $16. They offer whole corn and cracked corn.
Which do I need for my lawn?

A photo of the actual corn meal would help me. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• andy10917
    10 years ago

What is it that you want to use it for? It has a few uses - knowing which one you want helps to guide you...

• uscjusto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fungal control and adding OM to soil.

What are the other uses?

• andy10917
    10 years ago

Another use is as a (weak) fertilizer.

When used to help with fungal control, it's best to use the corn meal form. But there are a couple of things to remember:

(1) Corn has no fungicidal effects itself. It is a favorite food of the (beneficial) Trichoderma fungi. They hunt, compete with and kill numerous pathogenic fungi.

(2) It is not curative, it is preventative. If you already have a fungal disease, it will not go away with corn meal. The beneficial fungi need to build up in the soil over time.

• uscjusto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So corn meal in the cracked form won't work?
    It needs to be the powdery kind of corn meal?

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

There have been many posts here from people who have used cracked corn successfully to cure an active fungal disease. It has been awhile but I get paid handsomely (not) to remember that sort of thing. And I use corn meal every year successfully to cure my yard of a fungal disease. At the same time, both Andy and I are aware of too many people who have been unsuccessful with corn meal or cracked corn. He is working with a group on another forum to develop a reliable, organic, fungal disease prevention program.

This is what corn meal looks like.
    {{gwi:106737}}

This is what my fungal problem looks like.
    {{gwi:92453}}

• andy10917
    10 years ago

David knows why I word things the way I do - there are too many people that expect the "punch in the mouth" instant hit that you get from chemical solutions. They write "it didn't work" when they don't get an instant stop of fungal disease in three days organically.

Organic solutions work best when used proactively, ahead of the time of expected fungal disease problems. In the case of corn meal, the meal rapidly increases the number of beneficial Trichoderma fungi, which outcompete and prey upon the fungi that cause some fungal diseases. It's easy to see that it takes a little longer to get the multiple steps to occur. I don't represent that it works as a curative, because if you have a raging fungal infection, days matter. I try to get people to start proactive programs beginning in mid-May, and my personal track record is 100% over five seasons with that approach. I just hate to see people knocking the approach because it works best with forethought -- it may or not not meet your expectations in an emergency situation.

• uscjusto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm on board with the organics which is why I'm inquiring about the corn meal.

It looks like my feed store doesn't sell the finely ground corn meal so ill have to settle for the cracked corn. My fungal problem is not bad, and over time I'm hoping just to reduce the small number of brown patches I have every year.