Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawnman77

Weed Identification Help - New KGB Sod

lawnman77
9 years ago

Hello all.

I installed a new KGB sod lawn about one month ago in northeastern Ohio. I have noticed a substantial amount of what looks to be crabgrass but I am not sure. Some help identifying it would be greatly appreciated. I just hope it is not tall fescue. I have attached a couple images.

Comments (13)

• lawnman77
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another image zoomed out a bit.

• polyguy78
    9 years ago

Based on your picture, I'd suggest it not be tall fescue as it appears to be spreading. Certainly not crabgrass. You might check online regarding Poa trivialis ( aka Rough Bluegrass ). Typically it's finer leaved than KB, but it may be more of a common type. I also suggest Poa triv as the picture indicates some stress ( browning of leaves ) and Poa triv really dislikes heat and has little drought tolerance. It's NOT a fan of summer or full sun. Another more obscure possibility is that it's just a wide bladed, darker green KB. Many sod farms will regrow existing KB fields and seed at the same time. The end result is turf that can be somewhat patchy as the different KB's are more segregated and less uniform. I'd suggest contacting the farm where it was produced and send them your picture. If it's a Poa triv that can be a concern as patches will only grow larger with time and PT is a perennial. If it's just another KB variety with a slightly different growth habit I wouldn't be concerned. Virtually all KB sod is produced using blends of KB and some segregation of the varieties is inevitable. Hope the comments help. PG78

• lawnman77
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply PG78. I will contact the sod farm for sure. One of my concerns was the fact that the sod farm had to go to their reserve sod supply on higher ground. What I received was more of a sandy based sod compared to a darker base which they previously had when I received a sample. Don't know if that helps. I have attached a closer pic of the more wider bladed grass. It is the same color as the majority thin bladed KBG and grows pretty much at the same rate. The reason I think it is TTTF is because it appears in small clumps.

• lawnman77
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. So I believe it to be tall fescue then. Any advice on how to deal with this? I am not happy with the sod farm right now. I have sent them an email explaining the situation.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

My GUESS (I'm bad at ID) is a common fescue. Learn to live with it, re-sod the areas, or use RU and reseed the areas.

• alicetooljam
    9 years ago

looks like a lower mowed "wild fescue" to me.

• lawnman77
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will it take over the KBG in time. I could always spray it with Certainty in the fall. I mean this was supposed to be 100 percent KBG. What would you do in my situation? Thanks again for all the help.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

Not in our lifetime :(. I would talk to the supplier and at least see what they are willing to do to do.

• Donald Cooper
    9 years ago

Sure looks like tall fescue.

TF is not invasive. Very few tall fescues have rhizomes and thus don't even repair well, a TF fault. There's no root intertwining and so sod is grown on plastic netting so it can be lifted and handled. It has to be overseeded occasionally, unlike (spreading) KBG, the King.

But yes, a stray TF seed can cause this trouble. If you only have a little of it, just trowel out the crowns, easy when the soil is damp. Hairlike roots probably won't regenerate a plant.

Or,with isolated clumps, I have occasionally used an artist's brush to apply Roundup carefully so as not to kill adjacent grass.

• lawnman77
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sod farmer owner said that he would give me replacement pieces at no cost. I would just have to go through and cut out the clumps and resod those pieces. What do you think about that plan. Not happy but don't have a choice.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

You can sue him! Fet a lwayer. It will cost you more than the installation of new sod, but the satisfaction. Ok, now that we got that out of the way, replacement pieces sounds about right. At least if it isn't scattered everywhere. Get yourself a hand-tool sod cutter on the internet.
    I no longer try to selectively kill off poa A., triv., bentgrass or fescues. I just cut it out and lay a piece of sod. I'll scalp the sod short in the fall and overseed with my preferred cultivar seed. I expect It eventually will blend pretty well. It certainly wont look worse than what it replaced.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

Below is a link to a sod cutter/lifter- for reference only. Prices vary and you can order them through some hardware stores. Once in a while I see them on craigslist for $10.

You lay the new sod down over the area you want to replace and useing the new sod as a template you cut down into the old sod with the sod lifter. Once you have the outline cut, you slip the cutter under the turf and with a back and forth motion, (like the do liposuction Lol) you cut the roots off. Works very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example