Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new sod

Posted by ncampos976 ca (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 16:58

hello, i just layed sod this past saturday, everything is going great, except for that there are a couple patches with slight dry edges and dry middles, the rest of the lawn looks great just these couple of patches of sod that looks like they might have been a little dry when i layed them. it was my first sod job. my question is, while its still young should i get new fresh sod and pull up the dry peices and lay the new sod or should i just keep watering and hope it will get better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new sod

What type of grass is it? Are you watering multiple times a day to keep it moist while its "rooting"?

o

its fescue, i have been watering 2 to 3 times a day , depending on how hot it is outside, the rest of the lawn looks great but there are some random dry spots that dont seem to be growing,

o

i did put fertalizer down before i layed the sod and i also rolled the sod. just wondering if i should just buy a couple new rolls and replace the dry spots or see if they start to get better.

o

I would think that since fescue doesn't spread like Bermuda, probably won't come back. Normally when watering new sod, you want to drench it once laid and hit it more than 2 to 3 times a day during the hot summer until those roots take hold (usually for a couple of weeks).

Can the sod still be pulled up in that "dead" area? Also pull a couple of areas that are green to see if the roots are taking to compare.

I would think if the roots can still be pulled on the "brown" areas, you will probably have to replace or seed it.

o

Yes I can still pull it up. I have been watering it with sprinklers. Just a few spots are brown. I can still pull the grass up. It's only been 6 days since I layed it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here