Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seven333

Defiance XRE

seven333
14 years ago

Anyone have experience with this spreading fescue? I know a few members have tried it but most of the posts aren't that recent. I'm considering overseeding parts of my existing front FF lawn this falk. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• tiemco
    14 years ago

I don't have any experience, but if you look at the ongoing NTEP results two of the best tall fescues are Titanium LS and Firecracker LS, which offer rhizome activity. The early "spreading" TF was marginal at best, but from what I have read the newer cultivars are getting better. Instead of buying Defiance this fall I plan on buying the two above cultivars, and making my own mix incorporating a third cultivar. I figure if the spreading isn't as great as they say at least I will have cultivars that are near the top of ntep results.

• seven333
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, tiemco! Do you know anyone selling these cultivars? I've only been able to find tech sheets.

• tiemco
    14 years ago

I contacted the grower, Mountain View Seeds, and they said they would send it to me direct, no middle man. The price for the Titanium LS, was $1.50 a pound plus freight charges, which is a steal in my book, as long as it is free of weed and poa. I took a look at the 2001-2005 ntep for the cultivars in Defiance XRE and the only one tested was Grande II and it was middle of the pack. I can't imagine the Grande would be any higher.

• seven333
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again, tiemco! I'll contact them on Monday. You think a blend of Titanium LS, Firecracker LS and Spyder LS would form a nice turf?

• tiemco
    14 years ago

I am sure it would if all goes right. I don't know if Spyder was tested in the NTEP, but I think it does well in hotter climates, so it would be nice to have for the hot NJ summers. If you can't get all three varieties I would either just go with two, or to be safe substitute one of the older proven non spreading varieties such as Justice, Rebel IV, Falcon IV, 2nd or 3rd Millenium, etc.

• rew2_mindspring_com
    13 years ago

I live in Georgia.My neighbor and I planted Defiance XRE Sept 2010..within two weeks had good growth..by November had great coverage and a dark green blade..good growth in shady areas that previously had difficulty..last of Feb this year new grass came up..beautiful dark green color..excellent coverage..looks like a golf course..also used a fertilizer 18-24-12 with a root enhancer..light overseeding this spring..neighbors have asked us about the type of grass

• Eric Malamisura
    7 years ago

I bought 12 100 lb bags of Defiance XRE for my 3 acre lot that has been super problematic. I have a 12 zone sprinkler system but I have been having a lot of problems due to extreme heat and lots of wind hitting certain areas of my property. After 3 weeks of putting Defiance down using an overseeder I have extremely thick growth in areas that would never grow anything with other seeds. After 2 months its absolutely stunning how beautiful this blend is, its golf course beautiful. My hope is in the spring it will explode, I plan to dump a very large amount of Malorganite on it super early spring and a pre-emergent. Will let you know the results. I should caveat I prepped the area with a malorganite and selective herbacide 12 weeks prior to overseeding, and cut super short. I have areas that are nothing but 'moon dust' that are on the road, and it even grew in those areas, pretty amazing.