Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czz_eddie

Overseeding Bermuda right now?

czz_eddie
13 years ago

Hello,

I recently posted about some weird grass in my lawn. I was advised my lawn consisted of goose grass, st. augustine and bermuda. It was suggested that I overseed bermuda & follow the "bermuda bible" so Bermuda could overtake the rest of the lawn. Here's my old thread:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg07224437853.html

I spread out $50 worth of Bermuda seed a little over two weeks ago, with the expectation of a solid two weeks of rain to get things started. But ended up getting hardly any rain. So I haven't seen seed growth yet.

I'm now prepared to set up a lawn sprinkler on a timer to get seed growth going. But is this a good idea right now? I'm in Austin, TX and it's going to be sunny & in the mid to upper 90's for the next couple months.

Also, what sort of schedule should I set my lawn sprinkler for? I have a Melnor 3015 water timer which allows it to water up to 3 times per day, for however many minutes I want.

Does 15 minutes, 3 times a day sound good? If it's in 8 hour cycles, what time of day should it start?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Comments (6)

• botanicalbill
    13 years ago

I think 15 min 3x a day sounds good.
    texas weed will have better answers for your climate.

The seeds need to say moist to germenate and then to grow. If you have one day where you do not water, you can lose all the seedlings.

• doze
    13 years ago

What kind of seed did you buy, $50 worth sounds like a lot but I guess you have a big yard. Did you aerate or rake the seeded areas and cover with topsoil?

Even with regular watering you won't really see anything for 3-4 weeks. Have you ever heard the expression "It was like watching grass grow", lol you will go nuts looking for seedlings to pop up. Just stick to watering several times a day but not too close to dark to prevent fungus and the seeds will pop up.

• czz_eddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was just a big bag of home depot purchased bermuda. Scotts, I think? I guess I have a medium sized front & rear lawn.

After I overseeded, it rained for one day, then nothing for a couple weeks.
    I started watering the lawn today. I set the schedule for 10 minutes every six hours. Hope the seed is still viable?

• doze
    13 years ago

I think you will be ok, just give it a bit more time. I overseeded a few areas in early May and I didn't see any results for at least a month even with good rains and regular watering. It looks great now though and only I can tell which sections are from seed based on the color or the size of the blades.

• neilaz
    13 years ago

If the seed got water for a day or more and then nothing for a few weeks it may be to late to save it. Time will tell but don't wait to long as it is getting late to seed. Heck if i were to seed today i would be mowing it in 3 weeks. I thought $50 was cheap seed :) You can spend $1-$20 per lb.

• czz_eddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, folks!

I have now been watering for 15 days, now up to 6 times per day, 12 minutes each.

I've started to see a few baby blades peek out of the ground in a few spots!

The weather is now in the upper 90's to low 100's and no rain. How much longer should I keep up this watering pattern for the Bermuda overseeding?

I'm still mowing every 3-4 days with the second lowest setting on my mower. To keep the st. augustine & goose grass at bay.