Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noremorse63

3 weeds/grass that I can't kill??

noremorse63
10 years ago

HI, I am in Northern Maryland, almost by PA. I have a great tall fescue lawn that has 3 weeds/grass that won't go away. I have tried IMAGE, Weed b Gone max, and now Q4, but they still won't die. I am hopeing to ID them so I don't have to use roundup and kill the good grass.

This first weed is a very fast grower, usually in circular clumps, and it has a course feel with tough roots.

Comments (8)

• noremorse63
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the 2nd weed, almost looks like Bermuda, but is very easy to pull out. It also does not seem to do well in the colder weather as it has only just started to spread and stand out--very bright green, and almost like bushy clumps here and there around the yard.

• noremorse63
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well this is the last of the pictures, so I decided to ask about this fast growing weed on the left and the broadleaf weed on the right. The fast growing weed reminds me of Johnson grass on the farm while growing up, but I don't know if they have that out here. Those pavers are 18x18in and it grew that large in just 2 weeks.

The broadleaf weed on the right is simply a pain in the but, I can't seem to get rid of all of them in the yard. I did use dimension and it worked great for everything else, but this sucker keeps coming back. Weed b Gone max, seems to knock it back, but never kill them all. I should also mention that my property is surrounded by farmland and was farmland a few years ago. So I am not sure this isn't some old crop trying to come back up?

Thanks in advance for any help on any of these weeds/grasses, I know that Round up type herbcide will kill them, but I am trying to minimize dead spots in the yard if I can.

• forsheems
    10 years ago

I'm no expert but I'll try to help you out. First weed is Dallisgrass. It's nasty, spreads really quick, and about the only thing I know of that will kill it is Round Up.

Not sure about the second and third weed. Better photos would help. The broadleaf weed looks like wild violets. Again, it would be nice to have a better photo. Any product with 8% Triclopyr will take care of it but it will take persistance. Treat once per week until it is completely gone. This weed also spreads rapidly and can be rather hard to eliminate.

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

Dallisgrass has black seeds that grow up like my attached photo. Is that what you see in your lawn?

This post was edited by uscjusto on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 13:28

• noremorse63
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, not at all, but I don't let them get too high to begin with if that matters?

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Can you take pictures on a cloudy day so the contrast isn't so great?

• kbinmd
    10 years ago

Can't you just hand pull?
    Or is there to many of them?

• noremorse63
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will try to take some more pics this afternoon and post them. I do think that FORSHEEMS is correct on the Dallisgrass in the first picture. I check out some pics of it on the web and they look pretty identical, except for the seeds, maybe because I mow weekly? I can pull it out, it is just tough. I sprayed again with Q4 and it seems to be putting a hurt on them, turning yellow and brown, but not sure if they will die?

As for the little broadleaf weed, they just keep coming up, I will get some more pictures of them too.

The 2nd pic I think may be Bentgrass? It pulls up plenty easy, I just would rather spray it since it is spreading fast in the back. Thanks for the help so far!