Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verland_gw

What kind of weed is this?

verland
9 years ago

Can anyone tell me what kind of weed this is and how best to deal with it in my lawn without injuring the grass? A couple of months ago, I planted Pennington seed and dropped Peatmoss with a spreader over the seed. Seems like whatever this clover type weed is, it's taking over so I'm looking for something that will effectively deal with the weed without damaging the grass. Thanks very much. :-)

Comments (11)

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Malva neglecta

• polyguy78
    9 years ago

Looks very much like Ground Ivy........a tough perennial. The other is Purslane ( Pigweed ) an annual. Both are common to your area.

Lots of good pictures and descriptions on the web; plus control recommendations.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Ground ivy is also called creeping Charlie and sometimes dollar weed. Lots of plants are called dollar weed, so that doesn't mean much. Creeping Charlie forms a dense mat of roots just below the surface. Some dedicated lawn nuts have eradicated it by hand. They start in one corner and work until their fingers are bleeding. When they come back to continue, they start at that same corner and turn over every inch of soil they started with to get the rest. They repeat that restarting from the beginning until it's gone.

Everyone else uses Round Up twice at one-week intervals.

• jaynine
    9 years ago

It's not ground ivy.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

jaynine, do you have a better suggestion? Because it sure looks like these thousands of pictures of ground ivy.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

>>Malva neglecta

>>jaynine, do you have a better suggestion? Because it sure looks like these thousands of pictures of ground ivy.

I laughed when I read JayNine's entry. It's gutter Latin if you twist it the right way for "bad neglect." :-)

Malva neglecta is common mallow. Whether that's true or not, I can't say. But it was amusing.

• gardenbug
    9 years ago

What you have is definitely "Glechoma hederacea" better known as creeping charlie, ground ivy, run away robin, just to name a few. I've been pulling this weed out of my lawn for days. It forms dense mats that can really take over your lawn.Creeping Charlie a bugger to pull but I never use chemicals. Great exercise!

• joneboy
    9 years ago

Mallow and ground ivy look very similar. Mallow has round stems and ground ivy square stems. Most effective active ingredients for control of ground ivy are Triclopyr and a 3 three way broad leaf herbicide with 2,4D, mcpp, dicamba. Spray two apps early fall and four weeks later. These two are even more effective than Roundup and they are selective. Remember ground ivy is a stoloniferous perennial weed you have to be diligent to eradicate it. Mallow depending on where you live can be an annual or perennial but much easier to control. Your three way herbicides should take care of it. All that being said, I would not spray anything until the early fall if the grass is newly seeded.

• vall3fam
    9 years ago

Jaynine, I'm going with you on the Malva neglecta.

elaine

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Ground ivy grows as a runner, Malva neglecta (which this is) doesn't.

• botanicalbill
    9 years ago

I would suggest against using round up since that will kill the grass too. 2,4-d should take care of it, but Joneboy's mixture will do the job very well. It may take a few applications through the growing season to kill it all.
    If your going to spray educate yourself on what you are going to spray. In example, 2,4-d would kill Flortam (type of St Aug grass).