Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identifying holes in yard

Posted by cholmes28 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 19:14

I have about 5 small holes in my bermuda lawn. They are a bit smaller than a golf ball, and they are shallow in that the hole is only about 2-3 inches below the surface. The grass around the hole is dead, but there is no dirt mound around the hole, and there is no raised mound anywhere around them. They are connected, because I dropped a smoke bomb into one hole, and smoke came up several other holes. Any ideas on what critter is causing this? The white object next to hole in the picture is a golf ball.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identifying holes in yard

Here is another picture of the above issue.

o

Looks to me like either a mole or a vole. Moles dig holes very similar to that and feed on grubs and worms. Voles also dig holes but from what I've read they feed on the roots of grass. I've had plenty of dealings with moles and can say that I've never seen the grass die out like that around their holes so my guess would be you have a vole living in your lawn.

o

The only thing that is throwing me off the vole track is that there are no visible runs which connect the holes. The grass is only dead in a 2-3 inch ring around each hole. I know the holes are connected by runs, but there is no visible decay of the lawn except where the holes are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here