Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime questions

Posted by SnailLover 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 19:55

I'm in northern Michigan zone 5.

Just bought a new house and was told I needed to spread lime on my lawn because of all the pine trees around it (some hardwood as well). How can I tell if it needs lime? Is there a certain time of the year this should be done, and how often? The lawn has been neglected so it needs other attention also. There are lots of bare patches and weeds. Should I kill weeds first, fertilize, or doesn't it matter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime questions

The only way to know if you need lime, and what type you should use, is by getting a proper soil test. (www.loganlabs.com) You can add lime almost any time, but generally not at the same time as synthetic fertilize. Space them a few weeks apart. Fertilizing shouldn't really be done in the middle of summer, even though you are in Northern MI. Wait till the heat and humidity break. Weed killers can be used when temps don't rise above whatever they recommend on the label, as it can harm heat stressed grass.

o
RE: Lime questions

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here