Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestlawn

Can anyone help me get a couple webpages hosted?

bestlawn
16 years ago

This is not a mistake post.

There were a couple or three of you guys who said you work with/on webpages. Sorry I don't remember who said it, but I'm hoping you can help me with something.

This thread is from a couple years ago. I wanted to keep it on the web before it rolled off into oblivion, so I asked on another forum if anyone knew of a way it could be done. A lady so kindly had it hosted by the free site you see there, but she doesn't remember how she did it. I have the bluegrass and supplier pages I would like to have hosted. They can't go into the FAQ because they contain links. The FAQ section strips links, webaddresses, and retailer info, but I don't want to remove any of that from the pages. It's what the pages are about, after all. You will notice all the links work in that thread, all those that weren't removed that is.

I'm not trying to add to this page or this same account, and I don't have the password or any other information associated with this page that I hotlinked to, so please don't offer suggestions that relate to or will be connected with this page at all. If I can use the same site, that would be fine but not this same account.

Is there anyone who help me figure out how to do it. I've gone to freewebs.com and tried but I don't get it. It offers help in setting up a web page but not how to have Freeweb host an existing webpage.

Thanx so much!

Comments (28)

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

You can save it.
    In Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox...
    FILE > SAVE PAGE AS

You can save the images individually if you want.

That's just how to save it. Not to host it. Perhaps geocities or one of those.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

If you plan to use freewebs, they have a Site Manager that allows easy uploading of files.

Your first step would be to get a free account there. The free account supports up to 40 meg, so if you're thinking of doing plain html pages you could have a lot of them with their free service.

If you have a few pages you want to host there, you'd save them as QQ suggested, then upload them using the site manager tool.

There are other sites that allow free hosting, as well. I just googled free web hosting and got 171,000,000 hits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google results for free web hosting

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not working out, BP. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

I run several web sites: njvarsity.com and scarletnation.com. I can point you in the right direction. I am one of the people who said you should take your knowledge to its own site/business. You can reach me at njvarsity@yahoo.com

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Mallory--Can you give some more details about what you've tried? I've never used freewebs.com, but it should be relatively straightforward. If you can give me some more details, I can probably walk you through it.

I just tested and you should be able to send me an email if you click on my username and send an email from the member page.

• zhotster
    16 years ago

Mallory, I can help you also. I think it would be pretty easy to do what you want. Send me an email if you want my help. Thanks!

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rutgers, you have mail

Zhotster, there's no email capability on your "My Page"

BP, that is asking waaayyy too much LOL cuz I have no idea what I did. I started up a website following their steps. Then tried to load a page to it following their steps. Have no idea where the page went or why I cannot access it. If I may ask you to just do it yourself and then tell me how it goes. I don't doubt you can get it figured out. Maybe just use any page here on the forum to test with in order to figure out what she did when she had that "Totally Starting Over" thread hosted. Do you mind trying it?

• turf_toes
    16 years ago

Mallory,

I'd be happy to help, if I can find someplace to host it for you. Let me look around.

(I work for a private company and my boss wouldn't be happy to find I'm hosting lawncare stuff on the company's server) I have a gmail account and I believe that google may provide free web hosting as part of the account.

• zhotster
    16 years ago

Mallory, Try mailing me now, my email has been updated in my profile.

Thanks!!! There are a number of free web hosts out there, we can find one, I'd bet!

• zhotster
    16 years ago

Mallory, not sure if you did get help, but I did get the page that you linked above put out on a freeweb page. Let me know if you got someone to help you or where you are at on this. I'm no HTML expert, but it's pretty easy to sign up for free hosting.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

I just tried it with freewebs.com. Assuming you have an account, you need to log in to the account and choose the build & edit menu option. Then choose Site Manager. Then choose Single File Uploader. Then browse to the file you want to put there.

This is assuming that you're doing a simple webpage with no supporting files--just a single html file. If you have supporting files, you should be able to upload those in a zip file. I got an error when I tried that, but I think the zip file may be invalid. I'll try again and give instructions for that if you need that.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

I noticed that if you're using the free version, you need to paste the freewebs.com "freebar" html into all the pages you have there. There's a link to the html on the site manager page.

• zhotster
    16 years ago

bpgreen, it sounds as if you and I did the same thing. Freewebs is pretty easy to work with.

I also put a site out there and discovered what you did. I'm guessing someone else did also, that's why there's no response to this thread :).

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Are you referring to me? Nope, I haven't tried it again yet. You guys did it so would you please post the link to the page the site is hosting? BP, I cannot believe what a dummy I am about this, but I'm not following what you are referring to.

I noticed that if you're using the free version, you need to paste the freewebs.com "freebar" html into all the pages you have there. There's a link to the html on the site manager page

Need to paste it where?

Zhotster, I just sent you an email.

• zhotster
    16 years ago

Bestlawn, I emailed you a link to the site that I had set up. Let me know if it works.

I can easily create links for you to other "saved" pages. It's pretty easy! Just email me the links to the gardenweb pages that you saved.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"Need to paste it where?"

I'm assuming that you have an html file somewhere on your local drive with the information that you'd put in the FAQ if links were allowed. Instead, you plan to put it on a free webhosting site.

freewebs has a free hosting service, but they also have premium plans. If you're using the free service, they require that you paste the html they provide in any page that you put on their site. Open the html page in a text editor and paste the html they provide somewhere between the <body> and </body> tags. I would put it at the very top or the very bottom.

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I see what you're saying, but nope I didn't compose HTML pages. I plan to post them here as threads. Then I want the threads themselves permanently hosted on the web, just as she did with the thread I linked to above. Get me? I will save the threads to my hard drive if I have to, but all the language will already be done by GardenWeb. They will just be GardenWeb Lawn Care Forum pages just like this one. The lady that got the "Totally Starting Over" thread hosted is less knowledgeable about HTML than I am. I can setup a transitional HTML document from "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/frameset.dtd">; to and most of the stuff in between (if I can remember LOL), then open in my browser, but she cannot do that. So, I know this must be very simple, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Incidentally BP, how did you get those tags to show up without adding spaces?

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

bestlawn:

I have a dedicated web server (link to my domain) that you can link too. Please email me your files (preferably HTML or DOC) and I can permenantly (no hassle) post them for you.

webmaster@stockta.com

Thanks
    Gary

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

Nevermind, I posted the link you refered to.

Bestlawn link

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Grayentropy, I appreciate your offer very much. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "never mind" LOL. Did you know I am talking about some other pages I need to be hosted, not that one that has already been hosted. I was using that one as an example of what I need to do with some other pages.

Also, did you realize I'm talking about pages that will already be GardenWeb threads? I can email you HTML from view source (photo below of what I mean) or I can email you the Word document (doc) or I can paste from Word into Notepad if you prefer.

{{gwi:108531}}

You've all been very helpful and offering to get the pages hosted. Between what I imagined and the suggestions made, I really don't know the best route. Can you tell I'm on overload? LOL.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

I get the tags to show up by using the html escape codes for the lesser than and greater than symbols. I'll try to show you by escaping twice:

&lt;body&gt; translates to <body>

Before grabbing a thread from GW and hosting it elsewhere, you should check with GW and see if it's ok with them. There's a copyright notice at the bottom of each page here, so you could get in hot water for copying a thread without permission.

Since Gary is offering to host the pages for you, I think your best route would be to send him an email with all the pages you want hosted.

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

<body>
    Okay, thanks for that trick. And then I could ask how you got the escape codes to show up, but I won't.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"And then I could ask how you got the escape codes to show up, but I won't."

I escaped the html twice. So instead of an ampersand, I used the escape code for the ampersand: &amp;

So to get the escape code to show up for the less than:
    &amp;lt;

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What is the escape code to close the tag. Do I just add the slash?

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Yes. The slash doesn't need to be escaped.

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

Yes please send me an email of the pages you want posted (as links). I can convert the pages to html and publish them

webmaster@stockta.com

Thanks

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Gary--I noticed that even though you hosted the page on your site, you kept the footer that it was being hosted by freewebs.com.

Mallory--In order to avoid running afoul of copyright issues, I would suggest that you email Gary documents that you want converted to html pages (rather than linking to GW threads). If he's got his own domain, I'm sure he can handle the conversion.

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I'll do that.
    Grayentropy, I'll email them in a few. Gotta finish the second one.
    I really appreciate this.