Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Sure What To Do - Problem Spot in Lawn

Posted by SpectreOne3 Northern Idaho (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:24

Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster

I have this one spot in the lawn that keeps giving me problems. I thought maybe it was a lack of water but I'm not quite sure.

The spot in the photos is basically in the middle of the back lawn. The yard generally slopes towards the fence to the right in the photos but also pitches to this spot as well.

One section of the grass, next to the fence, is bone dry regardless of how much water I give it.

The other section the grass seems to just layover, almost like a bunch of people laid on it for a long time.

I don't know if its too much water, too little, bad drainage, drains too quickly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Sure What To Do - Problem Spot in Lawn

I'm thinking cbg from the description and the shape. Can you post closeups and describe what it feels like when you pull it (i.e. like ripping off a toupee, whatever that feels like lol)?

o

Are you saying it is a low spot but it remains dry?

Does it ever fill with water and remain wet for days at a time?

o

gweater: I've never pulled on a toupee (bucket list item?). But it feels firm, certainly doesn't pull out or anything. new photo of one spot attached.

dchall_san_antonio: I turned the sprinklers off and hosed the area and it actually seems to hold water as in not drain so I'm wondering if the lawn is draining to this spot, almost pooling?

o

Pooling is what I was thinking. You can't let that happen. You either need to dredge out a drain away from that area or raise it up. Pooling will kill the grass and some of the microbes in the soil. You'll be left with an area that will only grow swamp grasses like nutsedge.

What happens when you stick a screwdriver into the soil there? Is it hard or mushy?

o

The soil is pretty hard. I can get a screwdriver in it but it takes some force.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here