Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris112_gw

dying grass... but its so new

chris112
9 years ago

Well I recently moved into a home that had a somewhat neglected lawn. Overall it is 2.5 acres in an area that is supplied water by a well. With that said I am coming from a .25 acre lot that was on city water, needless to say that lawn was well watered, maintained and fertilized.

This is my first full spring/summer at the new place and I wanted to see what I can do to improve the lawn. I started by dethatching and core aerating in the early spring. I purchased a truck load of top soil and planted new grass seed in many areas that were just roots and rock. I watered as needed and grass grew in nicely. Now a month later many of the areas have dead spots and I feel like I have wasted time and money. Because there were so many areas that needed seed I started with Lesco Sun and Shade Park mix (for super shady areas) and also used Pennington's sun and shade for other areas.. I've had good luck with pennington in the past. Needless to say both seeds seem to have the same results of dead spots as you see in the pictures. Rather than continuing to throw money at time at it, what should I do? I did not fertilize at all this year and can't really afford to on such a large lawn. Many neighbors have great looking lawns so I assume it's something I am doing or not doing. What would cause new grass to die like this? The rest of the lawn looks somewhat similar. This didn't just occur in shady areas, it also happened in full sun areas.. Any help and suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Comments (2)