Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Replacing Brush with Grass?

bobby1973
10 years ago

Hi folks,

My family is in the process of having a new home built. Behind the home will be a decent size backyard where the home builder will install sod. Then behind that lawn there is a thick wooded area separating us from the house behind us. Currently that wooded area is covered with dense brush at the base of all the trees. Although we are not permitted to cut any of the trees, we are free to clear the brush, which I intend to do. I already have someone that will clear the brush for me sometime in the next month. I asked him what I should do to keep it clear once he clears all the brush, and he suggested that I put grass seed down. I thought he was crazy:) I just never even considered that as an option because I never thought grass could successfully grow under such a thick canopy of trees, due to the lack of sun. But this guy felt confident that it can be done. I'm a bit hesitant to take that route because I just have this feeling that I would have to 'baby' the grass and I just don't want to get bogged down with that. I just wanted to run this by the folks here to get your feedback. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you could offer. Do you think I'm better off just clearing the brush, and then just maintaining that by pulling out any growth that pops up? Thank you folks!

bobby

Comments (4)