Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Brush with Grass?

Posted by bobby1973 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 21:35

Hi folks,

My family is in the process of having a new home built. Behind the home will be a decent size backyard where the home builder will install sod. Then behind that lawn there is a thick wooded area separating us from the house behind us. Currently that wooded area is covered with dense brush at the base of all the trees. Although we are not permitted to cut any of the trees, we are free to clear the brush, which I intend to do. I already have someone that will clear the brush for me sometime in the next month. I asked him what I should do to keep it clear once he clears all the brush, and he suggested that I put grass seed down. I thought he was crazy:) I just never even considered that as an option because I never thought grass could successfully grow under such a thick canopy of trees, due to the lack of sun. But this guy felt confident that it can be done. I'm a bit hesitant to take that route because I just have this feeling that I would have to 'baby' the grass and I just don't want to get bogged down with that. I just wanted to run this by the folks here to get your feedback. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you could offer. Do you think I'm better off just clearing the brush, and then just maintaining that by pulling out any growth that pops up? Thank you folks!

bobby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Brush with Grass?

How much direct sun will this area get on a typical cloudless summer day? If it's less than 1-2, then it will probably be a fools errand to try to grow grass there. Fine fescues might work, but it all depends on how much sun. If it's pure shade, then just put down some mulch or you can try moss.

o

Goats.

o

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tiemco!

o

Whether you seed or not just keep it mowed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here