Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fusion916

Making lawn greener and thicker, growing new seeds, weeds, etc

Fusion916
10 years ago

Hi all

I'm new to lawn care as I just bought a house about a month ago, and I have been trying to revive this lawn into a nice, green, and thick lawn, as it was a precarious shape when I moved in.

I've been watering is every other day (im going to transition to 2 times a week), and put in two applications of fertilizer (2 weeks apart), and the lawn is looking MUCH better now, but still a long way to go before becoming really thick and really green.

My issues are both "brown/deadzones" that won't grow back. Random brown grass scattered throughout the lawn, and thin areas of the lawn. Here are some example pics (before I cut the grass):

{{gwi:109181}}

{{gwi:109182}}

{{gwi:109183}}

Some areas of the lawn that were completely dead (stayed completely brown no matter what) I dug up and replanted seeds a week ago. In the areas I planted seed, I have been watering every day, but the seeds won't plant and I don't see anything growing yet. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? Along with digging it up and putting dirt on top, I put some topsoil on too. Here are the pics of these areas:

{{gwi:109184}}

{{gwi:109185}}

{{gwi:109186}}

And then I have the random areas of brown spots that won't grow back:

{{gwi:109187}}

In addition, I have this weed that keep growing randomly in spots, what do I need to use to get rid of these?

{{gwi:109188}}

Here are some pics of the lawn after cutting, lining, and cleaning:

{{gwi:109189}}

{{gwi:109190}}

{{gwi:109192}}

{{gwi:109195}}

Any tips please to making this lawn nice, thick, and completely green? And help growing my seeds?

Comments (7)

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

Where in sacramento did you buy?

Reseeding will be very difficult in this hot weather we are having. The seeds just won't germinate and it's hard to keep the soil moist enough.

Just be patient and when fall rolls around you can try overseeding and reseeding. What kind of grass do you have?

• Fusion916
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought in Oak Park.

Is just an issue of watering more often if the problem is the soil isnt moist enough? Or do I really have to wait until the temps get into the 80s everyday?

When you say overseeing and reseeding? do you mean just take a bag of seed and spread it all over the existing lawn? I have no idea what kind of grass it is, but the seeds I planted were tall fescue.

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

I think you have more problems than a dying lawn when you are living in oak park: high crime rate, poverty, depressed property values, etc.

Anyway back to the lawn. I think the soil temps are too high in summer to germinate grass seed. So that's why waiting until fall is better. Plus turf seedlings won't be able to survive in this heat if they do germinate.

Re-seed is laying down grass seed in bare spots to grow more grass in that bare area. Overseeding is to spread grass seed over your existing lawn to make it more full and lush.

You should probably add some starter fertilizer after seeding as well, plus water daily.

• Fusion916
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The part of Oak Park I live in is not the high crime rate, low property value area. But lets stick to the lawn care please.

On on overseeding, so I need to rake out or dig out the brown spots before laying down the overseed to the existing lawn?

Also, as of today, I am starting to see tiny new lawn sticking out, so I guess the seeds (or at least some of them) did germinate properly. It's probably helping that I have a shade tree over the entire lawn so it doesn't get as hot or as dry when it's 90 outside.

And I didn't see any suggestions on how to get rid of those weeds I pictured. What kind of plant is that and can I put something down that targets that plant?

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

I can't help you with the weed question. Is hand pulling the weeds possible? If you want to prevent weeds in the future, one solution is to water deep and infrequently (1" per week all on one watering) and mow high. The shallow roots of the weeds won't get enough water and the tall grass will shade out weed seedlings.

For overseeding or reseeding bare areas, you can dig out dead grass and loosen soil to ensure grass seed contact with soil and to make sure nothing is interfering with seedling growth.

• Fusion916
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes for right now, hand pulling is possible, but its spreading and won't be possible in about a month at it's rate of growth.

Watering infrequently right now won't be possible as I will be overseeding soon and will need lots of water.

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

Watering requirements for overseeding are different. Daily watering and you only need to keep the top 1/4" moist. Don't let the soil dry though! And good luck with the high temps and new grass seedlings.

And best of luck to you in Oak Park. I went to McGeorge. I know the area.