Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early rototilling

Posted by John_7700 Co , zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:46

I have a bad section of lawn that I want to rototil and amend the soil. I can't do the planting this year as I am away from home for long periods. Would it be harmful, or beneficial, to do the soil preparation now or in the fall and leave it sit til next spring?

Thanks, John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early rototilling

A bad section of lawn can be fixed without rototilling. Rototilling is the worst thing you can do in preparation for new grass. Yes, I know both Scott's and Pennington recommend it, but it leads to a bumpy surface.

What's wrong with the section now?

Seeding in the spring will give you a lot of summer weeds and a weak lawn by July. You'd be way ahead if you paid a professional to deal with this now. But what it needs depends on what's wrong with it. Must repairs happen at the surface, so you might not need to bring in new seed.

o
RE: Early rototilling

>>Rototilling is the worst thing you can do in preparation for new grass. Yes, I know both Scott's and Pennington recommend it, but it leads to a bumpy surface.

This. It not only leads to bumpiness (which takes ages to settle, if it ever does).

You disturb the soil layers, inject oxygen into layers that don't normally see it, and destroy microbial life that can't stand that level of oxygen. It takes a while for that to restore itself.

Tilling, because it injects oxygen, also sets off fast decay of any organic material in your soil. OM is something you want hanging around as long as possible.

While there are one or two reasons to bite the bullet and do it, this isn't one of them. Those reasons would involve having a soil test with an extraordinarily high pH in your hand, and even then it's just as easy to adjust pH without tilling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here