Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756168

Rust disease - New Yard - Summer

User
9 years ago

Looking for some insight on what I should do. A little background first.

I'm in northern Illinois and my new house's backyard was seeded in May 14' It's been a surprisingly wet spring and summer up to this point and the seed came in quick and all seemed well. I would water as needed (probably little more than needed).

3 weeks ago I put down 2-36 pound bags of Milorganite over about 5500 square feet, or about 0.6 lbs/1000 sq ft. if I calculated correctly.

Last weekend when I was done mowing (usually highest or 1 down from highest setting) I noticed a lot of bright orange dust all over my mower. It was similar to the consistency of pollen. After some research and browsing around this forum I have deduced that the orange dust is from Rust Disease.

I have read a few suggestions varying from ignore, correct, add nitrogen, bag clippings, heavy infrequent (weekly) waterings, herbicide, etc. The most popular suggestion I've seen is fertilize with Nitrogen and the grass should grow and rid the rust.

Since I just put down the Milorganite 3 weeks ago and it's in the middle of the summer, would Nitrogen be a wise solution? Or should I just apply something like Bayer Advanced NATRIA Disease Control RTS?

I appreciate reading my long winded description and any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know there is never a perfect single answer for a lot of these things, but nonetheless appreciate your response.

Thanks,

Tyler

Comments (6)