Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rust disease - New Yard - Summer

Posted by snkeyez95 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 23:20

Looking for some insight on what I should do. A little background first.

I'm in northern Illinois and my new house's backyard was seeded in May 14' It's been a surprisingly wet spring and summer up to this point and the seed came in quick and all seemed well. I would water as needed (probably little more than needed).

3 weeks ago I put down 2-36 pound bags of Milorganite over about 5500 square feet, or about 0.6 lbs/1000 sq ft. if I calculated correctly.

Last weekend when I was done mowing (usually highest or 1 down from highest setting) I noticed a lot of bright orange dust all over my mower. It was similar to the consistency of pollen. After some research and browsing around this forum I have deduced that the orange dust is from Rust Disease.

I have read a few suggestions varying from ignore, correct, add nitrogen, bag clippings, heavy infrequent (weekly) waterings, herbicide, etc. The most popular suggestion I've seen is fertilize with Nitrogen and the grass should grow and rid the rust.

Since I just put down the Milorganite 3 weeks ago and it's in the middle of the summer, would Nitrogen be a wise solution? Or should I just apply something like Bayer Advanced NATRIA Disease Control RTS?

I appreciate reading my long winded description and any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know there is never a perfect single answer for a lot of these things, but nonetheless appreciate your response.

Thanks,

Tyler

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rust disease - New Yard - Summer

You are absolutely spot-on deciphering that nitrogen is recommended to help the grass outgrow rust. You are also correct that now is not the time to be applying nitrogen. Rust is seldom terminal. I'd just soldier on.

Do you know what type of seed you put down?

o

It is a kbg rye mix. Or at least that's what my builder has told me.

o

I've found KB to be pretty resistant to Rust. Can't speak to the rye.

o

This time of year you can apply organic fertilizers. I like corn meal for most fungal issues on lawns, but rust and red thread seem to be immune. So any organic you want to apply will be helpful as far a adding nitrogen.

o

Thanks dchall. Any recommendations on organic fertilizer?

3 weeks ago I put down 2-36 pound bags of Milorganite over about 5500 square feet, or about 0.6 lbs/1000 sq ft. if I calculated correctly.

Would it be wise to add any more at this point?

o

That is plenty good enough. If you want more N then apply again. You can apply that stuff up to 50 pounds per 1,000 square feet (smothering the grass). And you can apply that amount every weekend if you want. I would suggest you pass out gas masks to your neighbors if you do that.

A less whiffy alternative is alfalfa pellets. Apply at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Look for rabbit pellet size, not horse pellets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here