Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oneam9

Reseeding Lawn - Sun & Shade

oneam9
12 years ago

Hi,

We are in Atlanta and have a very weedy lawn, consisting of a little fescue, a little strayed bermuda, and a bunch of weeds. My husband has decided to kill the lawn and start over. We rounded-up today and he wants to seed at the end of Sept.

Have these questions:

We have a med-large tiller and were considering running it over once. Is this overkill? We could probably borrow the neighbor's aerator attachment.

He was told to kill the grass/weeds w/ round up, wait til late Sept, lay down peat and seed fescue over that. Does that sound like a good plan? We haven't really found peat, but we have found other compost mixes and topsoil.

Finally, my main concern is the fescue. I am not sure if it can survive the sunnier parts of our yard, which make up about 50% of the yard and I would consider full sun, maybe 4-5 hrs. Atlanta sun can be brutal and we endure frequent periods of drought.

From what I have researched here, it seems the best options may lie in a hybridized bermuda or zoysia sod, but he wants to try a seeding route. Is there any type of blended seed for sun/shade that will work?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

thanks,

Laura

Comment (1)