Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starter Fert vs Step 4 - CORRECTION

Posted by Ibanez540r none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 1:54

So I'm beginning my over seed project in Northeast OH. Today I did a heavy de-thatch and started to cut short. I have an uneven lawn and am going to be having top soil delivered and fill in the lows. Will be plug aerating prior to as well.
Anyway, I plan on seeding in the next week or two.

I know many of you are organic or anti - 4 step, but I used the Scotts 4 step program this year. When I seed I will be right on time for Step 4. I'm curious if Step 4 will be OK to use when I seed, or if I strictly need to use starter fert?

Step 4 31-3-10

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starter Fert vs Step 4 - CORRECTION

Here's my two cents. Since you are overseeding you don't want the existing grass to grow too fast. New grass roots are tiny, so small that any fertilizer you drop at the seeding time doesn't really do much good for the new grass. So option one is don't fertilize at all. It will keep the existing grass' growth minimal, and you aren't wasting fertilizer. Drop your starter after you mow once or twice. Option two is use a half dose of starter at seeding the other half after the first mowing. Starter is lower in N, so it won't force top growth as much as 31-3-10. The half dose will give some nutrients, but again, the new grass won't be able to use much of the that since the roots are so small. 31-3-10 is too low in P for new grass. Save it for your October feeding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here