Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime before aerating before seeding?

Posted by weigojmi NC (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 07 at 8:11

How long before aerating/seeding should lime be applied in the fall? I read it aids in "soil movement"?

Is there an optimal time to seed after aerating to ensure best seed/soil contact? So I wouldn't want to aerate one weekend and then seed the next I assume?

Thanky. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime before aerating before seeding?

i'd suggest a soil test before adding lime. you may not need it. its primary function is to raise the PH of the soil. anything in the 6. to 7.5 range is fine for turfgrasses. some like a little more or less than others but in that range just about anything will grow. i wouldnt want fresh lime down the same time i planted seed. as far as doing a core aeration... throw the seed out and do a pass in each direction with the aerating machine. (assuming this is just an overseeding and not a full blown lawn rennovation)

if you do need lime, or pelletized sulphur if your soil is alkaline, i suggest waiting till it starts going dormant in the fall. give the stuff all winter to get watered down into the soil and reap the benefits next growing season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here