Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawn_hobby

After aeration - too late to mow one more time?

Lawn_Hobby
11 years ago

After core aeration, but before overseeding...is it too late to mow one more time to get the existing grass slightly shorter? Or is that a no-no? What would be the pros and cons as far as effecting the success of the project? Ideally, I'd like to take it down one more notch after aeration if needed/possible.

Comments (10)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

No problem mowing after core aeration. With all the watering you will be doing the grass will not be drought or heat stressed.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

The only problem is damage to the mower blade. But most OEM replacements are only about double the cost of having a blade sharpened, so not a big cost and a new blade will be nice for the new lawn.

• Lawn_Hobby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, guys.
    Well, only issue is I just had the blade sharpened the other day (third time this year) because I accidently nicked it by cutting a rock last week. Will the soil really dull the blade to the point that it will tear the new grass on the first mowing? I don't want that to happen.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Only way to know is to take a look after you mow over the cores.

• Lawn_Hobby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know, I decided against doing it. For one thing, the holes will fill in if I do, and I need to keep them open until I seed Friday.

The other ting is, the sun and not watering this week is doing a good job of stressing the existing grass to the verge of dormancy, so I don't think it will grow much for a good while, anyway.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

It was a warning, not a prediction. Just wanted you to be advised that it could-not would damage your blade and you might need to sharpen or purchase a new one. If you mow and core the day before you seed, you shouldn't need to mow again. If you are aerating a week before seeding you really should mow again so the sun can get to the seed.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

You probably know I'm a little on the anti-aeration side of the fence. I'm curious what were your reasons for aerating? I promise not to be judgmental. I am just curious.

• Lawn_Hobby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

grass,

Yeah, I'll be ok, I agree with you. But thanks for the warning nonetheless...that was the sort of info I was looking for.

dchall,

I basically wanted to tear up a lot of the existing grass before the overseed. So, we aerated thoroughly, and then I'm also using a slit seeder to open it up more on the day I put the seed down. Why? I'm in the process of altering the ratio of grass species in the lawn, not just lightly overseeding existing grass. I want to keep some of the existing grass; it's just that I don't want it to be the majority.

Eventually, once I learn more about organic methods, I probably won't do this sort of thing as often. You can be sure I'll be reading your posts regularly.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

No problem. Thanks for the prompt reply!!!

• Lawn_Hobby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dchall,

Thank YOU for the prompt reply!