Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spectrograph_nc_7b

Halting large patch disease in zoysia

Good morning. I have a zoysia backyard which has suffered from large patch for at least the last three years. The largest spot was about four feet across when we moved in, and has grown to be probably about twelve feet across this summer. Before now, I was a new homeowner (and new father) and had not spent much time on lawn maintenance besides mowing and watering. This year I would like to bring my cultural practices up to par and halt the spread of the disease, so that next year the lawn can begin to repair.

The lawn: Central North Carolina, zone 7b. ~50% shady, more towards the fence. Direct sun is received in late morning to early afternoon. The soil turns to red clay an inch or two deep. My spring soil report from the state ag office says the pH is 5.0, the potassium index is 46 (just under what they suggest as optimum), and the phosphorus index is 92 (substantially above optimum).

Where the grass is not diseased it is quite healthy and beautiful. I will try to work with zoysia at least for the next year because it withstands our foot traffic well, can be mowed and watered pretty infrequently and remains extremely weed free.

This spring (June) I took the following maintenance actions:
- Dethatch the lawn with a metal rake (the raked up thatch pile was unbelievable large, it was like we were making hay!)
- Lime (~50 lbs per 1000 sq feet)
- Core aerate
- Fertilize (15-0-15, slow release, ~5 lbs product per 1000 sq ft)

What I was considering:
- Spreading Disarm G (granular) in the fall when it appeared the disease was active. I'm not quite sure what this looks like, but the internet tells me the diseased region of grass at the margin of the patch will turn orange when the fungus is active, or that the leaf sheaths may show lesions or discoloration

After reading this forum, I also see some other folks are advocates of organic methods to attract beneficial fungi, such as spreading 20 lbs corn mean / 1000 sq ft. I am willing to try this as well, as even though I have purchased the fungicide I would prefer to not use it than need it.

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance!

Comments (15)

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of two new spots which appeared this spring.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Weather update: I'm worried that this year the active disease cycle will occur earlier than normal. It hasn't been above 90 here for maybe a week or so, when we are often 95+. Nighttime lows are also in the low 60s, and we have been getting a TON of rain (every other day) for the last maybe two weeks. With all that moisture and cool temperatures I am worried the fungus will become active earlier than normal.

• botanicalbill
    9 years ago

I get that each spring that I do not spray insecticide. Are there a bunch of little black bugs about the size of a pin head? Rake the dead grass with your fingers and see if you see them running.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've not noticed any bugs, unless they only appear seasonally. I dethatched the whole yard this spring with a metal rake and did not notice anything then as well.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this evidence of large patch infection?

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

That is excellent evidence of a fungal disease. I was very busy in July and missed this post. What I would have suggested to apply was corn meal at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. The problem with zoysia is that it is so slow to recover that you can't always tell if the corn meal worked. Since 2002 corn meal has worked for me on several different fungal diseases in St Augustine.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update: May 2015

Last fall I over seeded tall fescue in the areas of devastated zoysia. Thus week I've noticed some patches of the fescue seems to have died. I just looked but didn't find any indicators of active fungal disease. It might just be lack of water, we had about a three week dry spell in NC, and I'm not used to watering cool season grasses. I looked for evidence of distress on the zoysia in these border regions, but all I found was some yellowing and a failure to thrive:

I posted my soil test results in another thread (fairly acidic and low potassium). The site is about 50% shade so I know the zoysia is going g to struggle.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Is large patch active in the late spring at all? The turffiles page says to apply preventative fungicide towards fall when temps begin dropping again.

Last summer I spread cornmeal, but had an active large spot infection again in all three zones.

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

So how's this zoysia working out for you? Is it as easy to manage as all the brochures said? I only ask that as a caution to others who might be considering zoysia. It is not all its cracked up to be.

I assume you had the disease come in after the corn meal or you wouldn't have mentioned it. Now I'm just gathering information to see what the situation was. I have read reports of corn meal not working, so I'm trying to understand why or what the circumstances were. Was is exceptionally rainy? What was your watering schedule? How often and for how long? Did you fertilize before the disease hit? What month did it hit? How long after the corn meal did it hit?

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In my area, I actually love the zoysia when it's not diseased. It naturally fills in gaps by spreading, it has never suffered from lack of rain (I hate irrigating), it needs extremely infrequent mowing and makes no seed heads, it's very fine textured with no clumps and is a pleasure to walk on, it backfilled high traffic areas, and it actually spreads even in >50% shade.

The Bermuda front lawn is fantastic, bit it gets full sun. My Bermuda will also cross over three feet of sidewalk and ten feet of mulch in a fortnight so it's a bit of a hassle to keep out of beds.

My notes say I added cornmeal early August last year. Late August I found the active infection, and so I spread Disarm G at the end of Aug and Sept. I also sprayed daconil between those applications but it had been in the tank for a year.

I don't think I will try organic this year. I was considering alternating daconil mixed with propicanozle and disarm g during the appropriate season. I am having trouble determining timing, and whether or not it will be effective.

Culture should improve this year. Last year's lime made a dent, bit morpheuspa suggested a more fast acting lime this year, and potassium sulfate to help harden it off.

If it survives the fall, I'm wholly open to moving to an organic regime next year.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BTW, I didn't chose the zoysia, it was in place when we moved in last year. I am attempting to avoid fescue though because it needs more water, mowing, and I find it clumpy and gappy, even in lawns that look nice.

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Something I might have mentioned in my earlier posts on this topic, but when you apply preemptive doses of chemical fungicide, or even postemptive apps also will kill the beneficial fungi living in your soil. Those beneficials will eventually return to the soil when the fungicides stop working, but that can take time especially if you hit it several times in the same season. When the beneficial fungi stop being beneficial, then your soil chemistry can get off leading to other issues. So what I suggest is applying either compost (1 cubic yard per 1,000 square feet) or compost leachate (almost any dilution) about 3 weeks following the app of the fungicide. Compost leachate is not compost tea. Compost leachate is much easier to make. All you do is plunge a half gallon of compost into 4 gallons of water (5-gallon bucket), screen out the compost for reuse later, and then pour or spray that water around. All that does is wash the beneficial microbes off the compost and distribute them on the yard. That will give the soil a head start in reestablishing the microbiology that should be there.

Then as much as possible, deep and infrequent watering is how you prevent the fungal disease in the lawn.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! What time of fall should I apply the leachate? I have a full compost bin which should finish converting in the summer heat.

I almost never water that yard. I aerated last year, but this year I will try a few baby shampoo apps - the flat clay soil may hold water.

We dethatched with a metal rake last year (holy mackerel it made a big straw pile), and will probably do so again in July.

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

Instead of dethatching you might try spraying molasses on the grass at a rate of 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet. The molasses fires up repopulation of the bacteria that will decompose the grass clippings and fallen grass for you. I cringe any time someone wastes an organic material. I hate to see people burning off their piles of wood or even lawns. Raking up thatch seems like such a waste.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, that's an interesting idea. We fill our composted with what we can. Our city also has weekly yard waste pickups which go to municipal compost so I don't fell too bad about that.