Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dellonb

TifSport Lawn - I want to Overseed with Rye for Winter

dellonb
9 years ago

I have a healthy lawn that is TifSport. I want to over seed with Rye to have green grass this winter. I have heard this is not a good idea because the Rye can stress the Bermuda and cause issues come spring when it tries to come back from dormancy. Thoughts, issues, concerns?

Comments (12)

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

it really comes down to what you want. the dormant bermuda is a good time to hit anything green (weeds) with round-up without hurting your bermuda. May be a little more difficult to identify things you would like to kill.

When you are coming out of dormancy the bermuda is struggling as the rye is still needing nutrients that the bermuda needs to come out of dormancy faster.

As noted, really depends on your preferences,

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

The tall rye grass provides too much shade for the bermuda to come out of dormancy in the spring. By the time the rye dies back, it is late April or May. By then you've lost 2-3 months of bermuda growth, and, as TNJDM said, the nutrients in the soil went into the rye. Sometimes the bermuda will not recover within the same growing season.

Golf courses and other athletic fields get away with overseeding rye because they are allowed to use chemicals to kill the rye early in the spring. You have to be certified to apply those chemicals before anyone will let you buy them, so homeowners are out of luck.

• neilaz
    9 years ago

Not always out of luck. I was able to get a bottle on the internet for about $150. But it will last 10 years or so. Have used it four springs and not yet used half. Dellonb, where are you located? I am in Phoenix and we have a longer Bermuda growing season than most which helps with the overseed process.

• dellonb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Neilaz9a - I am located in Virginia Beach. Growing season is April to October. What was the. chemical you purchased? $150 for a several year supply seems reasonable.

Dchall - I understand what you are saying but why couldn't I plant the Rye in October and kill it off with roundup in February while the Bermuda is still dormant?

• neilaz
    9 years ago

I am using Revolver. I guess using Round Up early while the bermuda is still dormat will work. Maybe water it down a little?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Golf courses also use chemicals to fight the insects and diseases that infest/infect stressed turf. They can also verticut, aerate, and even replace the grass when needed.

Overseeded lawns have to be watered, mowed, and fertilized.....all at a time of year when the valuable, permanent turf is dormant and very much resents all of that activity.

Your healthy lawn is not likely to remain an asset to your property for years to come once you start overseeding. Weeds, insects, and disease will be ready and waiting, even if you are willing to use herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides on your lawn.

• podany4tx
    9 years ago

We have bermuda and over seed with Winter Rye. I did this because of the thatch that was produced by the bermuda during the fall and winter months. The kids and dog always brought it into the house. I noticed that winter rye is great for removing stickers, and chokes out other weeds. It also gives our bermuda nutrients, and it comes in better every year. We don't have to water it much in the winter months because we usually get enough rain. Also, during the spring my neighbors are either spraying roundup or digging out weeds. We never have to do this. The winter rye looks velvety and great each year and definately helps our bermuda.

• podany4tx
    9 years ago

Do you live in Texas? If you do, I've been using Winter Rye for 6 years. It chokes all the weeds so in the spring I don't have to either pull or use roundup. The Winter Rye keeps the soil moist and give off nitrogen. I never had a problem with bermuda coming through when the weather turns hot. It transfers from Winter Rye to Bermuda evenly. I never get the thatch in the winter from the Bermuda, and do not get the stickers either.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Where do you live podany4tx? We should explore your success some more.

• User
    9 years ago

Overseeding rye can be a pain with mixed results for the bermuda the following spring. How about using a $50 bottle of green dye instead?

• dellonb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DFW__Pilot: I tried the die last winter and it has several drawbacks. First, the cost of the product was approx. $200 for the two bottles needed to cover my 6,000 SF lawn. Other draw backs, it's messy to apply and it's my opinion that it harmed the lawn causing stress. I had more problems getting the lawn in shape come Spring than past years without apply paint. The look of the lawn was very artificial.

I over seeded with annual rye this past weekend, we will see how the lawn reacts in Spring.

• dellonb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic of dormant lawn after paint applied.