Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlenart_gw

Expert Help! Creeping Bentgrass control in Kentucky Blue Blend

dlenart
13 years ago

Greetings,

I'm looking for an experts help here. 3 seasons ago i renovated my my lawn by killing, aerating and seeding a very nice blend of Moonlight, Bedazzled and Blue Velvet. This blend was chosen based On NTEP data on cultivar performance for my area (Southeast Michigan).

I mow at 2.5" and fertilize regularly with a mix of Scotts and Milorganite.

Last season i noticed a few patches of creeing bentgrass appearing in my lawn. So last fall i promplty dug them out and reseaded those areas. This fall i am noticing more and more patches of Creeping bentgrass popping up to the point where selective control is just not a option.

As you can imagine i am very frustrated and feeling a bit of failure. The lighter patches of creeping bentgrass are an eyesore to me.

I'm looking help with two things here:

1. How do i get this under control? Do i need to kill my lawn and re-do the darn thing? Or can i use Tenacity / http://www.greencastonline.com/HebicideTenacity/index.html with Mesotrione in it? However, you just cant go to the local HomeDepot and get Mesotrione.

2. For future reference what is the best way to prevent Creeping Bentgrass from infesting kentucky blue blend lawns? I'm thinking Sod farmers / Baseball Grounds Crews must have found a way to do it?

Look, i understand there's more important things to worry about in the world, but it really is annoying and i've spent a lot of time renovating my lawn and i'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks for your time,

Dan.

Comments (4)