Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brentonb_gw

Grass Problem

brentonb
9 years ago

Hello,
I am going through the first summer in a brand new home (built last fall) with 'Palisades Zoysia' grass. I don't know anything about grass, but that's what I was told it is. However, I have noticed spots where the grass seems to be dying. It will be perfectly healthy everywhere else except these spots. The whole community (which is brand new and has the same grass) appears to be having the problem as well. Can anyone please tell me what this may be? And if it is know, how to remedy the situation? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
BrentonB

Comments (6)

• brentonb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a zoomed in picture of it if that helps.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

in ground watering... is the sprinkler hitting that area???

ken

• brentonb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes and Yes

Thanks,
    Brenton

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

brand new home (built last fall)

==>>> if at first you dont succeed ...

what about different subsoil due to the sidewalk building [if that is what that stuff is.. a bit confusing on the pic] ... perhaps take a few cores... and find out if the soil below diverges significantly ...

you can take cores.. with either a 9 iron ... lol .. or a hand trowel ... just find out if the soil differs ...

in other words.. water may not be moving thru it.. like the rest of the yard ....

there is also a potential issue on reflected sun ... and retained heat.. if there is pavement there ....

see ... on other properties.. if there is some rhyme or reason where the failures are occurring ...

i have to think.. somehow or another.. its a water issue ... or soil issue ....

where are you .. BTW ...

ken

• brentonb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In Round Rock, Texas. And that is the curb line to the street. But we also have spots in the back against the fence where there is more shade and no pavement or anything for sun reflection. I'll look at some of the other houses this evening to see if there seems to be similarities with where it is occurring.

One thing I have also found in googling my issue, is the potential it could be something fungal like 'brown patch'? But to me anyways, in looking at pictures online, it just doesn't really look like it's an exact match. Do you know much about that? Does it look to you like that could be the problem?

It could be a soil issue like you said, but I know for a fact some of the areas where it is occurring are getting PLENTY of water. I have spots right next to my neighbor who waters EVERY day at 6pm (and it gets sprayed from that as well). And I know fungal issues can occur from watering too late. But I also have spots on the other side of my house that isn't getting daily watering. So I just don't know.

• joneboy
    9 years ago

Zoysia will get large patch in spring and or fall, not in August. I think your making this harder than it is, do you see the surrounding green grass how the blades are fat wide open? Those plants have enough water. The area you are concerned with, the leaf blades almost look needle like, those plants are not getting enough water and curl inward to try to conserve water. Cut a small square out with a pocket knife and compare the brown area to a green area and look to see if soil from one square looks dryer than the other.