Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Roll or not to Roll

Posted by hdog 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 9:47

I planted Tifgrand sod 2 weeks ago and have been watering every 3 hours for 15 min at a time. I mowed twice at 2". I have a rotary mower. The sod seems to have rooted OK. I have some slight high and low points. Is it too late to roll to try to smooth out the highs and lows? In my other post "separated seams in Tifgrand sod" there was a reference to rolling, but TW indicated it would be of minimal benefit. By the way, there are no brown edges. All has turned green. At this point will rolling be futile?
This forum is awesome: chocked full of great info. Thanks all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Roll or not to Roll

Rolling is to get a good connection between new sod and the soil. It will due little to nothing to smooth things out. You will have to sand the low spots.

o

Thanks neilaz,
I sorta figured that. How deep a dip can I fill? Will the grass just seek the surface, say up to 6" of sand?

o

I have no knowledge with your grass type, but I doubt anything will handle 6" of sand. I'm familiar with cool seasons, but typically no more than 1" at a time, and that is pushing it.

o

I was being a bit facetious. I was just curious about how much sand the bermuda could grow through.

o

I tend to do about 1/4" or so. But i like to do things a little at a time. If you have a big area an inch or so. The deeper the sand the longer it will take grass to grow. For a good read pull up a chair and check out the attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: level with sand

o

I completely smothered a bermuda yard with 2 inches of sand. If you go too deep, that's the risk.

If you want to use a small scoop to fill in a few holes, then go 1/4 to 1/3 inch per week.

o

Points taken, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here