Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed identification help!

Posted by grass_help (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 10:09

So I've had these growing in big patches right in my front yard. They grow extremely fast and are driving me nuts! Anyway, I pulled one up and took it to the local nursery. They told me it was quackgrass, and the only cure was to spray it with round-up.

I sprayed it. Everything, killing all the grass along with it. Waited 7-10 days, sprayed it again. Waited another 7-10 days. Sprayed it again. Waited another 7-10 days. Sprayed it again. Waited prob. 2 weeks, and all was dead leaving nice big huge brown patches right in my front yard.

Planted new seed, starter fertilizer, etc. and began watering. 1 week, I had all new grass. 1 week later, these came back again! IS there nothing that can be done? Is this even quackgrass? Pulling it does nothing, as it grows right back. HELP! What do I do to rid my yard of this, or is it basically ruined and nothing that can be done?

I'm getting my soil tested next week to see if that helps.

I'm desperate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed identification help!

Quackgrass is a tough one. From what I have read quackgrass has a hearty rhizome system, so even when you kill off the grassy part, the rhizomes persist and eventually send out new growth, even after glyphosate treatments. Constant total removal of the blades will over time deplete the rhizomes of resources, but this can take a long time. Removal of the rhizomes is only feasible for very small areas, and if you leave pieces behind they will regrow more grass.

o

So you suggest to just simply keep pulling them out when I see them?

o

I find with quack the best defense is a good offense. Take good care of your lawn and it will get choked out.

But notwithstanding... when I first sodded my yard I had some spots of quackgrass that came from the nursery. I was told to mow my grass very short in the spot with quack. The quack rows faster / higher than the lawn, so using a string soaked in non-selective roundup carefully run the string over the longer quack. This avoids killing the rest of your lawn.

o

That pic looks more like Nutsedge than anything else to me.

o

That's what fox tail looks like before it goes to seed. Tall strands then fuzzy seeds start to sprout out of the middle.

o

I really believe that is nutsedge. It does not have the leaf attachment that quackgrass or foxtail have. Just don't let it form seed heads -- it will be dead in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here