Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
May I show you my dying crabgrass?

Posted by oldbat2be MA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 10:24

I'm thrilled! Over the past few years, crabgrass has been overtaking our lawn. I've spent many hours pulling it out by hand but progress was way too slow. After some online research, we ordered some Drive XLR8 and applied a week ago today, with the recommended MSO (methylated seed oil) mixed in. There are a few patches which we'll re-do (we may have missed these areas but the instructions also specified that two applications may be necessary).

A week ago:

This morning: looks terrible I know, but much better to my eyes.

We're in Massachusetts. Should I seed now (Drive XLR8 label says I can) to try to start filling in the empty spots or wait until the Fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: May I show you my dying crabgrass?

You can seed any time after the summer heat breaks as indicated by cooler evening temps.

o

Thanks dchall_san_antonio.

o

Crabgrass should not be taking over your lawn year after year. You're doing something wrong.

If you have a fescue lawn, it could be the lawn is thinning for some reason which allows the crabgrass a nice sunny place to get started.

If you have a KBG lawn it could be you have too much shade and which will thin the KBG.

If you have tried reseeding in the spring, that will assure you get crabgrass because that is when crabgrass seed is germinating. Do your overseeding/reseeding starting as soon as the evenings cool off from the summer heat.

If you are watering daily, or even weekly, during the spring, that will germinate the crabgrass seed. Watering should still be done monthly in the early spring and only go to once every 3 weeks when the high temps get into the 70s. When you water, water a full inch as measured by cat food or tuna cans.

If you are mowing either fescue or KBG lower than 3 inches, you should raise the mower to 3 inches minimum and you might try going to 4 (mower's highest setting). Tall grass helps shade out the underlying soil. Tall grass is more drought resistant and needs less water. Tall grass does not grow faster than short grass, either. Crabgrass is a "full sun" plant and needs its sunlight to get started.

For the rest of 2013, fertilize on Labor Day with a fertilizer only (no herbicide in it). Fertilize again on Thanksgiving (or right as the lawn stops growing) with a high N, fast release fertilizer for the winter. Then don't fertilize again until Memorial Day next year.

o

I'm happy for you but would you mind sharing your tip by including the amounts and schedule?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here