Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda vs Zenith Zoysia- woodland lawn

Posted by LaGrange SC Piedmont (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 11:01

Please assist us. We live in the woods and need grass near the house to control mud/clay and erosion. We're preparing the soil for sod. Which is better suited to the following conditions, Bermuda or Zenith Zoysia:

1. Full sun. No sprinkler system.
2. Woodland setting all around us (we're not in the suburbs; lots of competition from weeds and native grasses.
3. Not expecting to have a golf course lawn; but we will care for it as far as cutting and fertilizing regularly.
4. Must survive on its own except in extreme periods of drought. We will water thoroughly until it's established.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda vs Zenith Zoysia- woodland lawn

I think you've run out of time to grow them. Try annual rye grass when it cools down as a winter cover then try Zenith in May/June whenever it's warm enough.

Zoysia needs way less fertilizer compared to Bermuda to look good. Not as invasive or fast grower. Maybe better shade tolerance but I'll have to look it up how Zenith compares to other cultivar.

Personally, I'd go with Palisades.

o

I agree with Lou, wait until next year and go with Zenith Zoysia.

Put down some Perennial Ryegrass in another couple of weeks and be happy until next Summer (early).

o

It is not too late to lay sod as it can be laid anytime of the year providing the ground is not mud, snow covered, or frozen. Spring is the preferred time, but you can lay it now if you wish.

As for which type is entirely up to you and what you want to put into it.

Both Zoysia and Bermuda has some common characteristics of similar like texture mowing heights, drought resistance, Spring green , Fall dormancy, and wear resistance.

Bermuda requires full sun, multiple fertilizer applications per growing season, . high mowing frequency of twice a week, repairs it self fast from damage, aggressive and invasive.

Zoysia only require two fertilizer applications per year, grows slow so less mowing, can tolerate some light shade, slow to recover from damage, and has some insect and fungal issues.

It really boils down to how much work, money, and time you want to commit to. Bermuda is high input, Zoysia is medium input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here