Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long after fertilizing to wait for soil test

Posted by snkeyez95 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 11:14

I found this forum a few months ago and have learned more that I could have imagined. Thanks!

I fertilized my new lawn (May 2014) about 3 weeks ago with lesco starter fertilizer.

I would like to get a soil test down now so I can strategize my plan of attack staring in the late summer early fall.

Can I take a soil sample now, or should I wait a certain amount of time after the application of fertilizer?

---------

You are in USDA zone is: 5

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long after fertilizing to wait for soil test

Most of the things i have read/seen - mention 3 weeks before a soil sample.

Personally i would wait a little longer - hate to bother getting a sample and then have it skewed by the starter fertilizer...

If it was something like straight urea or milo i don't think i would be as concerned. With the P and K element fairly strong in the starter - i would want that to have time to work its way into the system.

o

Pretty much what BoatDrinks said. Milo, urea, or a high nitrogen (low everything else) fertilizer is not an issue. Some labs don't test nitrogen. Any good soil review will ignore your nitrogen or specifically mention it doesn't matter a jot (it varies too much due to weather conditions, time of day, and so on).

For starter, 3 weeks with normal rainfall or irrigation is about the right time to wait.

You could go earlier, but when quoting your test make very, very sure to mention that. Several times. Underlined.

o

Thanks for the response everyone. I've watered twice about 3/4" each time and it has rained pretty hard a few times. I think I'm outside the 3 week window you've recommended.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here