Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disturbing substance growing in my lawn

Posted by suggi MA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 11:19

Hey All

I hope someone out there can help me. I have what looks like a dog did his business in a few spots near each other in the grass. Other than actually looking like solid poo they are in clusters and standing upright. I poked them with a stick to see if a dog had been by but they were tightly held into the ground, I am 74 and not well so hope they are not harmful as tomorrow I have to get them out of there before the guy who cuts my lawn comes and spreads them all over (if he hasn't already as I just noticed them - not out that much lately). Never saw anything like it. It is also the exact same color as a dog's poo. Forget me asking the mowing guy as he won't do anything but mow so I'm it.

Would appreciate any input into this very strange whatever in my grass. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disturbing substance growing in my lawn

Probably mushrooms or other fungal fruiting bodies. Have you gotten a lot of rain recently? A picture of them would really help.

o

Can't do pictures but I did some looking on the net and I think they are black stinkhorn fungus and they seem to be more widespread than I thought. Yes, lots of rain - 3" in 2 days and some before that. I read there is no way to get rid of them because the spores are everywhere even though you might get rid of what you see now. I was thinking of raking them out of the grass but still do not know if it is bad for my health.

Thanks for replying and PLEASE if you know how to get rid of them before they reach the stink stage. Apparently they attract flies and really smell terrible.

o

I think they are pretty benign, except the stink. Do some more research, I don't think they will affect your health. You really can't get rid of them without taking drastic measures. A daily harvest with rubber gloves is probably the only way to keep them in check.

o

Yes, harvest them as soon as you see them coming. Turn a zip locking plastic baggie inside out, put your hand into the bag, pluck the mushroom out, turn the bag right side out, and zip it in. As you have likely determined, the flies spread the spores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here