Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New lawn

Posted by Africa12 none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 11:51

We have just removed a cedar tree, and I want to plant grass in its place. My question is if I leave some of the mulch on the ground, cover with top soil and then sew the grass seed, will the grass grow, or will the mulch, being underneath, hinder its growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New lawn

It'll grow, however over time the mulch will tend to decay away and settle. That tends to lead to a depression where the tree used to be, which can get water-logged and be somewhat of a challenge to mow.

For a modest period, grasses in that area may also be a paler green and not as thick as other grass. The mulch, while decaying, is sucking nitrogen out of the soil (plus other resources), denying it to the grass. This is only temporary and will reverse once the mulch is gone.

Leveling ground after a tree removal can be a real pain. Even top soil settles a little.

o
RE: New lawn

Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize that the mulch would draw the resources from the soil. I guess I will need to add more top soil as the time goes on until the mulch has decayed. As for the depression that may start to appear, that might be more of a challenge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here