Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grubs

Posted by chiefsilverback RI (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 12:23

I treated with MilkSpore last September and we had a fair few japanese beetles in the garden a few weeks ago, now my front lawn is infested with small grubs (see pic compared to quarter). I can pull up a handful of sod and find 5 - 10 grubs.

I really don't want to dump some horrible chemical on the lawn so do I wait for last year's MilkySpore to start killing them, apply another treatment now or do something else entirely?

The lawn isn't in that good a shape as is. It was badly done new construction 3 years ago and this fall I'm going to aerate and mulch in the fall leaves, maybe top dress with compost, so maybe my best bet is to do nothing right now and live with the dead lawn until fall?

Any advice is most welcome...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grubs

I can't ID a grub species offhand, but hopefully somebody can.

I also tried Milky Spore, it didn't work well for me. In my case, I ended up having to pull out the big guns in September to get rid of them--the turf was floating!

I know that nematodes are available that will kill grubs. I'm pretty sure (I've never used them) that the soil has to be pretty damp and kept damp while they work. The nematodes use the water to move around, and die if it goes dry.

That might be the first thing to try. If it works, great. If not, you can re-evaluate at that point.

o

From what I understand, milky spore takes a few years to fully work. Try putting down another round on the infested area.

o

I bought my Milky Spore at the Home Depot last year, but it looks like they only carry it online now.

I'm interested in the nematodes, I'll have to see if anywhere around here carries them.

On a related subject I was just checking the grubs' progress across my lawn and happened upon a weird cluster of litter white worms (see pic) any idea what they are?

o

No clue here, but they are kind of cute and very interesting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here