Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I apply super green fertilizer before or after mowing?

Posted by granburyflowergirl 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 12:49

Or does it make any difference whether fertilizer is applied right before or right after mowing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I apply super green fertilizer before or after mowing?

Since you need to water it right away, probably better to do it after mowing.

Have you cooled off enough already to fertilize? Can you wait a few weeks?

o

It probably depends on what sort of grass you have.. and I forget what you have....

On my Bermuda -- I haven't noticed much difference unless I spill it so deep that it smothers the grass.... Then it turns brown for a day... and then it grows up over the house..

Thanks

John

o

Do you bag or mulch your clippings? Probably not much difference, but, if you have a high-vac type mower and bagg, you might be sucking up some fertilizer that was just applied.

If you mulch, it might help get it further down by doing before, but, as Dchall mentions, you'd want to water right after if you use a chem fertilizer.

o

ooops, did I miss/forget something about not applying fertilizer in the heat?

I mulch mow, or I should say my lawn guy does. I just put down and watered in my second application of supergreen on my Bermuda only as this was recommended monthly through October as a way to choke out the crazy crabgrass invasion I am dealing with.

My prize lawn is the Turfallo patch which is doing great with no fertilizer or water from me. No crabgrass at all in the Turfallo! I think it may have to do with the fact that I prepped the area in March with cardboard and thick newspaper covered with top soil and mulch - must have prevented the crab seeds from germinating. Too bad I cant do that every year...I'd end up with a hill!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here