Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boojieman

Buffalograss

boojieman
16 years ago

I live near Gainesville, GA, in the foothills of the Appalachian Mtns. My yard is about 3 acres, one of which is lawn, almost all in the sun. I have fought with fescue for several years, trying to get it to grow. It looks great for about 2 mos in the spring and fall. In the summer heat, it burns up, and I have to overseed every fall. In order to try to get some summer green, this spring I overseeded with bermuda. The maintenance is killing me; but Monsanto loves me because I am keeping them in business buying Roundup to keep the runners out of flower beds, off sidewalks, driveway, etc. I've grown bermuda before, so I should have knowm better; I hate it--extremely high maintenance, and expensive because it loves fertilizer (monthly).

I have been looking for a better alternative for warm weather, and have read about buffalograss. It sounds like a panacea, almost too good to be true--very little water,fertilizer, mowing, heat, cold tolerant.I can't find any info about growing it locally. Can anyone tell me if it will grow well here; and If I don't fertilize or water much, will it eventually crowd out the bermuda? The articles say it will do well on about 30 in. of water a yr. In this area, we have averaged about 50 in. per yr., until the past few yrs., when we have had long term droughts. I called a buffalo seed producer in Kansas, and he (of course) told me it would do great here. The seeds are expensive and I don't have money to waste. Please, all you experts out there, help me. BTW, the local ag. ext. office doesn't know anything about it, either. Sorry for the long post, but I'm desperate for help. Thanks, all. BJ

Comments (3)

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Buffalo grass is native to the plains and the intermountain west, and I don't think it is well adapted to your part of the country. That is probably why you can't find information about growing it locally and why your local extension office doesn't know anything about it.

I don't remember the details on how much water it needs, but 30 inches annually seems on the high side. I just looked at a website that gives average rainfall for Gainesville, and I think buffalo grass would do very poorly or even die with so much water.

I'm not sure why the producer in Kansas told you it would do well in your area, unless he has a variety that needs a lot of water, or if he meant that it would do well in drought years. If you plant it during a drought and it does well, but then you return to normal rainfall, it will start to suffer very quickly.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Howdy neighbor. I'm just to the south of you in Buford. I grow a myriad of cool season grasses. Bermuda was a mistake. The cool season grasses need afteroon shade but they will stay green for more of the year than any warm season grass. I would suggest something like Kentucky Bluegrass with a Perennial rye blended in for a very dark green. Plant it in Mid or early september and it will remain beautiful until June, possibly longer.

If in full sun in compacted clay with no irrigation you can expect dormancy or to lose some but remember that it is less fertilizer, less mowing, less roundup and it is a beautiful dark green appearance for 8+ months of the year.

You don't need a new miracle grass, just to troubleshoot why your tall fescue has failed.

I always get such a kick out of it that people say "oooh tall fescue only good 4 months of the year" .... well so is bermuda. When would you rather mow, in the heat and humidity or when the weather is cooler?

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

If you need some convincing that tall fescue can look great in the atlanta area then go down to Duluth and drive up and down Satellite Blvd through all those office and industrial parks. You will not find one single fescue lawn there that looks anything less than excellent as of today Aug 5. I know Gville is usually a degree or 2 warmer but I doubt that would make much of a difference. There is also some nice tttf on medlock bridge in Duluth. I actually think the town banned the use of bermuda along with adult stores.