Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dog urine spots on common St Augustine

Posted by pkponder 8 Azle TX (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 12:51

I searched the forum but didn't find a treatment, just a lot of discourse about whether mystery spots were caused by a dog. We have a new dog and I am seeing a lot of lawn die off in the area where he goes and I'm pretty sure these spots are from his urine. What can I spray (organic preferred) that can help neutralize the urine?

He pees like a girl :-) and for a long time (the first day he was here he peed in the laundry room and there was so much, I thought we had a water leak, he pees a lot at one time). He doesn't seem to interested in marking like our previous male dogs, he just has his areas where he goes.

If it's relevant, I live just north of Fort Worth, TX.

I appreciate any suggestions aside from getting rid of my dog :-)

Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
I found the answer

I tried just searching Google and read about white sugar and compost. I have both so, problem solved.

o
RE: Dog urine spots on common St Augustine

Yes, it has been so long since we talked about dog spots here that they must have fallen off the list. A heaping handful of table sugar usually brings back the grass. The problem is not the dog and not the grass. The problem is the soil health. Sugar brings up the population of bacteria needed to process the urine. If you can apply organic fertilizer once per year, any time you want, the soil health will improve and the rest of your lawn care work should come together better. More frequent apps will help more. One app of alfalfa pellets (rabbit sized) at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet will help a lot. After you put them down you should moisten them but not necessarily wash them away. The next day they will swell up and look like worms. Then you can use a push broom to settle them down into the turf. Dragging a hose across the lawn does the same thing as the broom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here