Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notty1975

Problems with new turf

notty1975
10 years ago

Hi all did a previous post but now sorted the pics out
I am a total newbie to any type of gardening so please go easy.
I recently layed new turf (bout 4 weeks ago now) I prepped the ground getting rid of as many weeds as possible then added a couple of tonne of topsoil to level and some fertiliser
{{gwi:111943}}
Then layed the turf and it went down well
{{gwi:111944}}
Now I am having a few problems the turf itself as a whole is doing really well apart from a couple of weeds I need help with
{{gwi:111946}}
{{gwi:111948}}
And these are the close ups
{{gwi:111950}}
{{gwi:109799}}
Any help on what they are and the best way to get rid would really help as the first weed is also pushing the turf up
{{gwi:111951}}
Noticed a lump when I mowed so I cut the turf to release the weed (right/wrong ?)
Also have a couple of patches that seemed to have died although one is slowly growing back
{{gwi:111952}}
This patch was a lot bigger but is slowly growing back but the other patches are not
I watered it well at first and are now onto watering twice a week well and have kept it cut at 50mm cutting between 15mm and 20mm off per mow and mowing 3 times a week so think its growing well apart from these problems so what I need help with is
1 what weeds are they and how to get rid of them
2 how to make the patches grow again
I live in South Wales uk but can't tell you what turf it is (Compony on hol at the mo) all I know it was nursery grown
Sorry for the long post but tried to put as much info in ad possible
Thanks for looking and any advice you could offer would be great

Comments (7)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

I'm hesitant to make recommendations as I don't know what chemicals are available in England and (although it appears to be fescue) not knowing what type of turf you have. I've attached a link that you can use to identify turf grasses and weeds to aid you. Before using it, you might want to ask to ask whoever installed the sod for the name of the nursery they used. Contact the nursery and ask them what cultivars they use for their sod.
    Any product containing 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid should be safe for killing broadleaf weeds in a cool season turf stand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed and Grass Identification

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Agree on using a 2,4-d product on the broad leaf weeds. Spot spray. Here I would suggest using Weed-b-gone by Ortho. All you have to do is mist the leaves of the weed. Do not drench the soil. Grass should be unaffected by a 2,4-d product.

The grassy weed will have to be pulled. Get on that now before it gets to to be too much.

• notty1975
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice I have tried pulling the grassy weed but the stem/root is strong and they keep snapping

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Loosen the soil by sticking a screwdriver down next to the stem of the grassy weed. Wiggle the screwdriver and then try to get the entire root out.

• notty1975
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all thanks for you advice I just got hold of the turf supplier and the turf is called mm22 it comprises of
    30% Pontiac rye grass
    20% San remo rye grass
    20% mocassia fescue
    25% felix creeping red fescue
    2.5% Sefton brown top
    2.5% highland brown top
    Now after talking to the nursery they say the highland brown top will grow a lot quicker this time of year but as I don't have a lot of it (pic4) what would be the best way to get rid of it thanks for looking

• ethanhhgeorge
    10 years ago

According to me, the installing of the turf is not proper. You were supposed to add 25mm of compost to the first 50 mm of soil. Though you added topsoil other weeds were able to grow from them in between them. And still if you were not able to find a better solution for your problem then call the lawn care team. They will definitely have some solution for your lawn. If you waste your time in finding the problem, your lawn will be more in trouble. So, better late than never.

Here is a link that might be useful: lawn care suppliers

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Hmmmmm! The brown top grasses are used as golf greens in the cool parts of the world. Wonder why those short grasses were mixed in with the tall fescue and rye? Usually people mow their lawns too short and those grasses will form a mat low to the ground. When they are mowed higher they are more manageable. But those coarse blades with the yellowish color are not the brown tops.

I'd take your picture and some samples to the nursery and ask them. It might be a variety of grass that is common in your area and not that common here.