Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rphudes

Using Tanacity & Certainty

rphudes
10 years ago

I would like to apply both Tenacity & Certainty to my KBG lawn this week as a preventative to Poa annua and rough stalk blue grass Poa trivialis. Would anyone here know if after applying both if I can over seed more KYB in September.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

I use Tenacity and yes you can overseed KBG or fescues as Tenacity does not affect that.

• rphudes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have read several articles about using both Tenacity & Certainty as both pre and post emergence. One article said apply tenacity 3 times a week over a 3 week period in summer and early spring. Has anyone here developed an approach to prevent rough stalk KYB (Poa trivialis). I find Poa annua can be controlled with spot applications of tenacity.

• andy10917
    10 years ago

Tenacity causes a "knock-down" of Poa Triv, but almost all folks report that it's not a "knock-out" - there are lots and lots of people that come back months later with the "it returned from stolons that appeared to be dead but weren't".

BTW, using Tenacity for 3X by 3 weeks would require that the amounts used in any one application be miniscule. Tenacity has a 16 oz/acre maximum annual application total, so 9 treatments would have to be under the 2 oz/acre application rate. That's a very, very low rate.

Poa Annua is pretty easily controlled by Tenacity

• rphudes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So can I use tanacity in the spring as a pre emergent? If so, when should it be applied, how much and how many times should i apply it?

What happens if you exceed the 16 ounce maximum annual appplication rate?

Has anyone used Certainty for pre emergent?

• andy10917
    10 years ago

Tenacity could be used as a Spring pre-emergent, but is best saved for seeding situations. It has a much shorter effective period than many other "traditional" pre-emergents: 4-6 weeks. That is inadequate to protect you from the whole germination period of warm-weather weeds.

• rphudes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So what is the best way to deal with out of control Poa Trivialis?
    I Think I have the Poa Annual under control.....well I just killed several spots of it with Tanacity and will re seed in a two weeks (sept 1).

Last year in the fall, I killed every thing an re seeded with lesco premium KGB. Unfortunately, I did not get three good cuts in and was not able to put down pre/post emergent. Whap resulted was ugly...along towards the middle of May the lawn went crazy with rough stalk blugrass (poa trivialis). I want to lean how to prevent that from happing this coming spring...HELP Any Suggestions?

I have a supply of Tanacity, Certainty, and Nortron SC which is an Ethofumesate.

Unless someone tells me differently, I plan on spraying tenacity when I seed my new spots, and then use the certainty and Nortron towards the end of September through to December. Any thoughts or Suggestions?

• steilberg
    10 years ago

we are using black 6mil plastic will we need to use herbicide before sowing