Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandy1080

Lawn overrun by weeds, need your help

bandy1080
11 years ago

Posted this in the weeds forum, but since I also need lawn advice, I am posting here as well.

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker here but I am in a situation where I need the expertise of the people in this forum.

A little background -

Bought a house that was dormant for over a year. It has fescue grass but was over run by weeds and such when we bought it in the winter. Through some heavy thatching and reseeding in the spring I was able to bring the lawn back to its former self. The 1.5 acre lawn is completely irrigated and I water it every day (only later learned that I need to do it every other day) For a month or so in June it was perfect. But then all of a sudden once it got hot in July it was immediately overrun by grabgrass. I admit that I did not put any crabgrass treatment down until it was a little too late. Even then I just used scotts turf builder and weed control. I feel like it only made the problem worse. Not to mention the weeds are so much more dense than the grass and made bagging the clippings nearly impossible, so I probably made it even worse by mowing it so much.

So here is where I need your help -

1. Please identify this type of crabgrass for me.

2. With it being almost the end of August, and being in Massachusetts, what are my options for killing this week? Should I just wait for the first frost?

3. Since it has taken over so much of the lawn (80%). I expect to have huge bare spots after the weed dies. What is the best plan of action for that? I plan on de-thatching again, and aerating the lawn, when should I do that?

4. Once the weeds are dead and the lawn is aerated, when is the best time to over seed and do I maintain a watering schedule at that point?

5. Essentially I will be starting over come spring next year, I plan on hiring a lawn service. What should I look for in one, and what are the best questions to ask?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated and let me know if you need any clarification on anything.

Thanks

Brian

Comments (2)

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Brian, I don't know where you got your lawn care information but just about all of it is back asswards. I don't think you have lurked here that much. You must be lurking somewhere else, because none of what you are suggesting is what we talk about here. In 10 years I can't remember that much incorrect information being talked about. The good news is it looks like your mowing height is fine (high).

Always, always, always, always, ALWAYS, always, always do your seeding in the fall. Never, never, never seed in the spring (unless you are completely out of affordable options).

Never water every day or every other day unless you are trying to germinate grass or weed seeds. The only way to germinate seeds is to apply continual moisture. That's what you are doing when you water every day. Weed seeds LOVE getting water every day or so.

ALWAYS, mulch mow unless you are afraid of a rampant fungal disease or you let your weeds go to seed. I have not owned a bag since 1975.

You really never need to aerate anymore. If you suspect your soil is too hard (test with a screwdriver), then you can spray it with shampoo at a rate of at least 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet. Do that twice two weeks apart and you'll be fine.

Waiting for the first frost is far too late in the season to do anything. As soon as your evening high temps cool off from the summer heat, then you can go into action. There are weed killers that target crabgrass. Find one and use it - or you can wait for the crabgrass to die naturally. The problem there is sometimes it takes until the first frost. The beauty of killing the crabgrass now is all the seed in the lawn will not germinate because it is fall.

The watering schedule goes like this. For brand new seed, water 3x per day for about 10 minutes just to moisten the seed. Do that for 2 weeks or at least until you have about 80% germination on your seed. Then start to back off. In the winter you should water once a month for about an hour unless you have rain or snow. In the summer you should water once a week for about an hour unless you have rain. When it rains, all you need to do is supplement whatever is needed to get up to an inch per week. This approach allows the soil to completely dry out at the surface. That will also stop thatch growth. Use tuna or cat food cans to time how long it takes YOUR sprinklers to fill the cans. That is 1 inch of water. That's your target time. Mine takes 8 hours. My neighbor's takes 20 minutes.

Fertilize when the summer heat breaks unless you are seeding. Then you can use starter fertilizer or organic. Fertilize again around Thanksgiving with a high N winterizer. Don't fertilize in the spring until after the spring flush of fast growth has stopped. An easy day to remember is Memorial Day. If you want to use a preemergent weed control, wait until the soil temps are into the 50s, and apply that the day after you get a soaking spring rain.

If you hire a lawn service they will mow much too short. The height you have it now is good. I'd just take the next few weeks to practice proper watering, mowing, and fertilizing. In the spring start with monthly watering and transition as you need to to weekly watering. Mulch mow tall every week and fertilize in the late spring. That's easy.

• bandy1080
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you so much for the advice. I obviously have no clue what to do with this lawn and it is showing.

So your recommendation is to get the grabgrass killer on there now and then thatch it out once it dies? Then overseed.

Any idea what this grabgrass is?