Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kallei123

Newly Sodded Midiron Yuma, AZ

kallei123
9 years ago

I was just wondering what the initial care now and for the remainder of the year would be for newly sodded midiron lawn. It was laid Friday, August 1st. It has been kept moist with the irrigation systerm at 7 minute intervals 3 times a day. I live in Yuma, Arizona so the climate is very hot especially this time of year (100+). No fertilizer has been applied as of yet, but if needed, what type should I apply? Thank you very much in advance. I've search for this topic with the site, but was unable to come up with anything.

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Perfect so far. Thanks for posting the picture. It looks a little dry one row out from the post. Are you sure your sprinkler is covering evenly?

Put out some cat food or tuna cans. Be sure to put one on the driest spot and the greenest (lushest) spot. Turn on the sprinklers and time how long it takes to fill the cans. Watch the dry cans and the wet cans to see if there is much difference. When you have that time, memorize it. That will be your deep watering time for your mature lawn.

Check your sod pieces to see if they pull up. Don't pull too hard, because you can dislodge the new roots. If the grass pulls up, then continue with the short duration watering high frequency. You might up that to 10 minutes. Once the sod is knit to the soil, then go back to your deep watering time - except cut that in half. If it was 1 hour, water for 30 minutes. Then watch the grass for any sign of wilting. As soon as it wilts, water it again for 30 minutes. As you do that you'll notice the time stretching out on the frequency. You should be able to go 3 days like that. Then go to the full deep watering. Watch for wilting and then water the full time. This should stretch you out to a week or longer.

As the temps cool into the 80s (January!), you can back off to once every 3 weeks on watering.

Find the Bermuda Bible online. Follow that for everything.

• kallei123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response. In regards to fertilizer, should any fertilizer be applied to the newly sodded lawn? I was told that a certain type of fertilizer was needed to help establish a root system.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

It's bermuda. It will develop a root system no matter what you do or don't do.

• kallei123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! So the lawn just had its first cutting, 14 days after installation. I made sure not to cut more than 1/3 of the blade off the top. I understand that Bermuda likes to be cut short, so now my question is, how long do I wait to make the next cut? I plan on bringing the lawn mower down a notch and I don't want to stress the lawn by cutting too much, too soon. The lawn has begun to root itself nicely to the underlying soil. I stopped watering for the past two days to ensure the lawn was firm enough to mow. Do I continue the watering to keep the soil moist or should I figure out the deep watering time now and proceed that way? Thanks in advance.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Sorry I missed when you posted this. I'm changing jobs and selling an old house, and moving to a new house. Lots keeping me off the computer.

With my delays, you can easily be mowing 2x per week to get it down to an inch to 1.5 inches.

As it knits to the soil, then you can begin to stretch out the watering and water longer. This is bermuda so anything that goes wrong will be corrected in the following few days.

Water a full inch as measured by cat food or tuna cans. Then watch it very carefully for any signs of wilting. As soon as you see wilting, water it again, deeply. Soon enough you won't see any wilting for days and then more days and then weeks at a time.

The grass near the concrete patio should be watched. The concrete holds heat which dries out the soil and grass much faster than the grass out 18 inches away.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!