Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zoysia disease?

Posted by phasedweasel 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:42

I have what I think is a continuing large patch infection in my backyard zoysia. I'm attaching a picture of the affected grass. I was planning to spread Disarm G this fall in late September when the soil temperatures dropped to the 60s. However, I'm wondering if I have active disease right now? The "smoke ring" of grass at the margin of the patch is looking more sickly than I think it was earlier this season. We've been having temps 10 degrees cooler than normal for a month and a TON of rain, rain every other day or so.

I'm in the piedmont of NC, acidic soil, and the yard is about 50% shade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zoysia disease?

With cooler temps and a ton of rain, this late in the season - very likely a disease.

If it is cool enough you could try a chemical fungicide. Read the label of the fungicide very carefully regarding application temperatures.

Or you could try applying corn meal at a rate of 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. You cannot apply corn meal and hope for success if you have already tried a chemical fungicide. Corn meal works by attracting a predatory fungus which eats the disease fungus. Corn meal is the only reason I still have a lawn. I get a fungal disease every season at one point or another.

With zoysia you might not see any improvement this season. I have a small patch of zoysia, and once it goes bad, it never returns until the following April. One of my neighbors has repeat disease for the second year in the same spot. I suspect he did not treat it last year.

The health of your soil absolutely depends on the health of the microbes in it. Most of those microbes are fungi. If you kill off those fungi with a fungicide, it can take some time to restore them. You can speed that process up dramatically by applying a thin layer of compost about 3-4 weeks after you use the fungicide. Apply compost at no more than 1 cubic yard per 1,000 square feet. Sweep it down into the turf with a push broom after you apply. Do not leave any blades of grass buried or they will die from being smothered.

o
RE: Zoysia disease?

Thanks, dchall. I spread corn meal about three weeks ago now (when the grass looked short, but clean and green). I'm planning to go ahead with a fungicide in a week, and probably a second does in October, and then in the spring around green up I'll spread some compost to re-start the microflora.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here