Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwitting87

overseed or reseed?

dwitting87
10 years ago

Hi all,

So I moved into my first house last year. The lawn was in rather poor shape. The neighbor across the street said it was a beautiful lawn just a few years ago, but after being neglected by the previous owner for a few that it had gone to heck.

It is a mix of what I believe is Creeping Fescue (darker almost blueish green and needly), bluegrass, rye. Half of the lawn looks like if it was detatched and overseeded it would probably be just fine (maybe even just detatched). The other half sharing with the neighbor looks like it might be about 90% of the creeping fescue (the dark green pointy needle stuff). The problem here is that my lawn looks like a grass turf war where one side insists on being only one kind of grass and the other wants to mix. Is it possible that this is just from someone not taking care enough for a few years? I honestly don't think I have the money or skill to kill off and reseed such a large portion of the lawn. Anyone out there thinking that I might be fine in a few years if I just try to overseed with a mix to blend it better.

Side note: My lot gets LOTS of sun almost all the time, however the area where this pointy grass is, is probably the most shaded from direct light.