Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpo1

Best way to remove dead crabgrass

cpo1
10 years ago

I have read the David Hall 1-2-3 Basic Lawn Care article and am on-board with his approach. I also read that dead crabgrass should be removed prior to reseeding that I plan to do later this month. The crabgrass got the best of me this year after rain kept me out of the yard after using roundup this spring prior to seeding many isolated spots. I had reseeded two falls ago, but last year's summer drought with watering restrictions ruined some of my efforts. My question is: what is the best way to eliminate the dead crabgrass. I have both a front tined tiller and a Mantis with most accessories. I also have shovels, good hoes and rakes. I am not opposed to renting a slicer/seeder or aerator if necessary. How deep do I need to go with the crabgrass removal and what is the best approach? Pulling it up by hand doesn't seem practical. I'll be working about 1500 sq. ft. in total, but the lawn area is about 7000 sq. ft. Also, I do have this years good grass creeping up in many of the crabgrass areas. I've been using one of the the typical good quality midwest mixes of rye, tall fescue, and Kentucky bluegrass. Thanks for the help.

Comments (5)