Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
volksg3_gw

identifying a weed type

volksg3
10 years ago

Hi,
I recently found this type of weed/grass engulfing my lawn. I have tried several internet searches and cant seem to find any picture of this plant anywhere. I may be overlooking something. This has become a major problem in my lawn. I have tried Scotts and Bayer products with no avail. It just continues to multiply.

Can someone help me identity this and give some advice on killing it off ,without harming what ever is left of my grass if possible.

See posted picture

Thank You

Comments (6)

• andy10917
    10 years ago

Where do you live? That helps us to eliminate things that don't grow in your area.

What month did it first start to show up this year? Is it in sunny areas, shady areas or both? Do you live near a wooded area and if so, does it exist on the floor of the woods?

• volksg3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in upper Westchester NY. It started around late June its now growing at epic proportions. the area is slightly mixed more sun than shade. I'm some distance away from the wooded area. it started growing from the back of my yard and moved forward.

• andy10917
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'm slightly north of you in Orange County, NY.

I'm suspicious that you may be looking at Japanese Stiltgrass, which would not be a good thing. You're right that very few weed websites show Japanese Stiltgrass as a weed to be considered as a possibility, and if that's what it is (I have had it), it doesn't respond at all to most easily-gotten herbicides.

Compare what you have to Stiltgrass and if that's what it is, let me know and I'll give you ideas as to how to defeat it (it's a LONG battle).

• volksg3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup!!!! This appears to be it. I hade such a hard time trying to find it. I have done every possible search. Thank you very much.
    Do you have any tips on killing this off?
    I have tried weed be gone, weed and feed I bought spectricide

• andy10917
    10 years ago

There is no weed-and-feed product that will control it. There isn't even anything that you can buy at a local store that will control it.

The herbicide "Acclaim Extra" will control it. The bad news is that it's not cheap - $85 or so.

The new herbicide "Pylex" is listed to control it, although I have not tested it. "Pylex" is extremely expensive - $425.

The only reasonably-priced herbicide that controls it is Sethoxydim. It is in a product called "Hi-Yield Grass Killer" (around $25) that is somewhat safe for KBG, Perennial Rye and Fescue lawns. It will "stunt" the growth of those lawns for a while, and isn't guaranteed for this use, so test a patch of the lawn first and wait 2-3 weeks to make sure it's safe for you. DON'T use it on a Zoysia lawn.

Bayer makes "Acclaim Extra", and also makes a homeowner product called "Bayer Advanced Bermudagrass Control" with the same ingredient. The homeowner product doesn't seem to work anywhere near as well as "Acclaim Extra" though - it gets lots of negative feedback. Also, you won't find the homeowner product in stores up North - there isn't enough demand for it.

Mowing Stilitgrass causes a reaction that makes the grass go to seeding quickly. A battle against Stiltgrass typically takes 3-5 years to win, as the seeds can germinate year after year from a single crop of it.

Always use a good surfactant when applying the above products - it matters.

Don't ignore it - I've seen entire lawns overtaken by it in just a few years - the stuff is awful.

This post was edited by andy10917 on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 12:35

• volksg3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks i ordered the bayer stuff i ll give it a try ill keep you posted