Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeded Bahia in Spring with Little Return (Tampa, FL)

Posted by acrawf17 9A (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 14:17

Hello,

I seeded about twenty pounds of Bahia in my front yard during the spring, because my lawn had bare batches amongst my old Bahia. However, I have yet to see many seedlings appear. Weren't they suppose to sprout within the first few weeks of planting? I purchased the seed from Wal-Mart the week prior, so it should have been viable. I only watered about once a week, in addition to the normal rains that we received. The only spot where I saw some success was a dirt patch in the middle of my yard. I know that the seeds wanted more water, but is it normal for almost none of the seed to have sprouted by natural means? Is Bahia hard to plant by seed? Does it normally take forever for it to sprout?

Thanks,
Aaron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeded Bahia in Spring with Little Return (Tampa, FL)

I don't know warm season grass much, but when it comes to seed 3+ months is too long. Unfortunately, that seed is likely dead.

Watering 1x per week works for well established lawns - not for seed. I'm pretty confident that was your problem. You have to water seed 2-3x per DAY. It must stay moist at all times. When it has germinated, you can slowly, as it matures, back off to 1 time per week - preferably 1" of water.

I don't know if Bahia is specifically hard to grow, but you will probably have to give it it's fair chance with plenty of moisture. There are other factors in how well the seeds sprout, but water seems to be a big one. A seed needs (1) water, (2) oxygen, and (3) warmth to grow. My understanding is that if it doesn't have warmth, it will wait to grow. Oxygen is in the soil typically, unless the soil is super compacted, but you would notice that because the rest of your yard likely wouldn't grow either.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here